Looking for ideas for a Shortcut that does something with a macOS box on the backend

I have no need for this, it’s purely an idea for tinkering.

I have a Mac Mini that has maybe a 7 year old i7 and 16GB of RAM. It’s always up and running.

Is there some cool Shortcut I could use on my phone that would do something interesting with the Mac Mini? Heck, even something as simple as running a shortcut from my iPhone that will reboot the Mac?

Thanks!! :slight_smile:

There are all sorts of things you could do. For example i ssh to my raspberry pi to reboot it, get temp etc. You should be able to do the same to your Mac mini.

1 Like

Thx! You do this from your iPhone, or another Mac?

iPhone Shortcuts, via ssh

1 Like

I have a home-grown video download set-up.

I use Shortcuts in the Share-sheet to save a URL from YouTube, a tweet with a video, etc to an iCloud Drive folder; Keyboard Maestro on the Mac grabs it and opens Downie which downloads the video to a specific iCloud folder. I then watch, share etc the video using Files or any other app that accesses iCloud Drive on my iPhone or iPad!

1 Like

If you use Keyboard Maestro @speedmaster you could, like in this example, unlock your Mac

1 Like

The world is your oyster with this technique:

(substituting Shortcuts for Drafts)

1 Like

Hmmm, I’m so close. But keep getting this. I’m reasonably sure I have the permissions in they keys file correct, but I’m also very confident it’s something else I’m still doing wrong.

That’s telling you that you are trying to access your host via SSH with key authentication and that you haven’t put your devices public key in your host’s approved key list.

Maybe this will help you?

1 Like

Yes, thanks! That’s exactly where I am.

I am not associated with this app other than using it on a semi regular basis, but the app Shortcutify (https://apps.apple.com/app/apple-store/id1477222244?mt=8) will allow you to log into your Mac and do various things on it with Shortcuts.

I use it to log into my Mac and then start up WebEx Meet on it before my regularly scheduled daily meeting. It was fairly easy to setup, but if you need help, just let me know.

Scott