Coming Soon: LaunchCuts for iOS - A powerful, customizable, and elegant launcher for your shortcuts

Yes, I used the Microsoft Translate shortcut action to create the LaunchCuts Helper localization files for everything but English. Thanks for reaching out about this. You can find the localization files here:

Have not started localizing the main LaunchCuts iOS app. That will happen post launch.

1 Like

That answers the question I was going to ask: What this is written in? Swift or Swift UI, though?

(Completely off topic but Iā€™m considering learning Swift UI as Iā€™ve written nothing native on Mac or iOS, as opposed to Python and Javascript and PHP.)

This looks very nice but the setup is more cumbersome than you would really want.

Some of that is inevitable but there might be scope for some slickening ā€¦

ā€¦ I set up on an iPhone first, and then an iPad. Given I understood that iCloud is used it seems to me much of the second (and subsequent) deviceā€™s setup could be automatedā€¦

ā€¦ Permissions probably do need to be 1 per device. But things like the helper shortcut could be searched for automatically.

I wouldnā€™t say this is a high priority, though.

SwiftUI with some UIKit for things that SwiftUI canā€™t handle on its own (keyboard shortcuts, firstResponder handling for the search bar, etc.)

Having never written an iOS app before (aside from tutorial projects), I found SwiftUI to be pretty easy to learn.

2 Likes

I have improved the setup process in the latest TestFlight Beta 3, but I agree that I can do more to smooth it out if youā€™ve installed it on a prior device.

1 Like

Iā€™m really impressed with it so far. Right now itā€™s not working on my iPhone at all (never loads any shortcuts nor does it let me create folders) but it works great on my iPad.

Thatā€™s odd that it doesnā€™t load any shortcuts nor let you create folders. Can you share your screenshots of the error messages (if any) that itā€™s giving you?

Do you have Sync Shortcuts enabled in iOS Settings > Shortcuts ?

What iPhone are you using and what OS version? Running the beta on the iPhone by any chance?

There are no error messages, just a blank screen. Tapping New Folder does nothing. Iā€™ve tried running the Full Update from the helper shortcuts multiple times, and it reports progress just like the iPad did, but the shortcuts never show up in it.

Sync shortcuts is enabled on my iPhone. I use my Shortcuts on both devices and changes to them sync.

I have an iPhone XS Max with iOS 13.3 release (17C54).

Update, I deleted it from the iPhone, reinstalled it, ran the shortcut, and this time it works as expected.

I think I may have initially messed it up on the iPhone by not running the shortcut - I was expecting it to sync information between the iPhone and iPad. However, I expected running helper shortcut full update later to have grabbed all the shortcuts.

I found a bug with that bug New Folder button that will be fixed in the next TestFlight build. You could also go to Settings > Reset > Create Sample Folders to get some default folders.

But it looks like you have got it working now. Let me know if you have any other questions.

The only specific rough edge Iā€™m thinking of is the challenge of adding items to new folders. I sent feedback about how itā€™s too easy to accidentally select them.

I tend to agree - if you can stay ahead of the game adding more and more powerful features, then you should keep the most demanding customers.

The current beta improves selecting the shortcuts. No longer does swiping accidentally select them anymore. New beta coming out later today for the weekend.

2 Likes

Looks really nice!

Is there a way to join the beta without subscribing to a/your mailing list?

(I try to minimise incoming email and donā€™t want to use a fake email address)

Just DM me directly with your email.

2 Likes

Are there any videos of how to add stuff to a folder? I thought I could add all the shortcuts I use with my wife to one folder, is that possible?

@adamtow the colors are awesome in your app.

Thanks

Making tutorial videos is something that Iā€™m going to do for launch, but I donā€™t have anything at the moment. Iā€™d refer to the documentation right now: https://launchcuts.com/docs/#edit-folders

You would create a new folder and tap Select Shortcuts. Then, find all of the shortcuts that you share with her and select them. These would be manually-added shortcuts.

Thanks!

Initial set-up was hardā€¦

On my iPad I immediately ended up with a catch-22: I could not install/execute the helper App because untrusted shortcuts were not allowed and I could not allow untrusted shortcuts because I first had to run one (which is not allowed).

I got out of this by enabling untrusted shortcuts on my iPhone (so this might be an iPad OS issue?), but did not get any shortcuts in LaunchCuts. I had to to remove the App and do everything again (like someone else posted here) to get the shortcuts in the App.

I was hoping to use the App without reading any documentation, but seem to fail already. Canā€™t figure out myself how to use tagsā€¦

Wow - this looks fantastic!

Tags - I discovered by reading it somewhere - are assigned by adding a comment step of a particular format to the beginning of the shortcut.

The format is of the form:

LaunchCutsTags
Development

This being on two lines.

Documentation on tags here: https://launchcuts.com/docs/#custom-tags

You can use specially formatted comments in your shortcuts or enter a string corresponding to part of the name of a shortcut.