Automators 6: Automating iOS with Matthew Cassinelli

2 Likes

Anyone have any questions? :grin:

2 Likes

Hi Matthew - canā€™t get the Twitter Lists Workflow to work. Any updates? Thanks, Brian

I just updated the links in the shownotes :wink:

2 Likes

In the show you mentioned wanting OAuth 2.0 support. This is currently already possible, it just requires you to have a server to redirect the OAuth requests to the Shortcuts app. You can do this with a pretty simple php file which you can add to your server:

redirect.php

<?php
$shortcut = $_REQUEST['shortcut'] ?: 'OAuth%202.0';
$code = $_REQUEST['code'];

header('Location: ' . 'shortcut://run-shortcut?name=' . $shortcut . '&input=text&text=' . $code);
die();
?>

I currently have a Shortcut that interacts with the Foursquare API and uses OAuth 2.0 to allow me to quickly checkin to my most frequented places on Swarm (completely in the background and with a preselected sticker), which Iā€™ll share at some point, but itā€™s not quite ready yet.

2 Likes

I definitely want to learn more about this @marc. Iā€™m generally non-technical so ā€œjust requires you to have a serverā€ is easier said than done :slight_smile:

If you want to help me build a tutorial for people to try this themselves, thatā€™d be amazing ā€“ would blast the doors open for so much more opportunity.

Iā€™m extremely jealous of your Foursquare shortcuts!!

2 Likes

Hereā€™s the new links again just in case!

Open Twitter Lists - Workflow
Open Twitter Lists - Siri Shortcuts

Yeah I made the mistake of changing ā€œhandleā€ to ā€œTwitter Usernameā€ thinking itā€™d be more readable, but I forgot I mentioned it so explicitly on the show and also didnā€™t update the Key for the magic variable for the final URL.

1 Like

A post was split to a new topic: OAuth 2.0 in Shortcuts

Great episode, thanks, Matt!

I see the subtraction of 8 hours, then adding 1 hour? What is that about? Is the 8 to get your local offset from GMT?

He mentions in the episode the UTC offset and daylight saving. That should be what it is accounting for.

1 Like

If you check my video I have a shortcut to make this work for all time zones. :wink:

2 Likes

Perfect, thanks. Iā€™m in the middle of the episode now. :slight_smile:

Matt,

You may want to remove (or just reset) your Dark Sky API.

The shortcut you shared on Automators; The Golden Hour ā€“ Siri Shortcut still contains the API text at the beginningā€¦ I can envision it being downloaded and used as is, surpassing the 1000 call limit before you know it.

Thanks for sharing such a great shortcut!

@matthewcassinelli you mentioned teaching yourself as a non-programmer. Iā€™m in the same boat but obviously much further behind. Looking through Shortcuts I would like to learn more about Variables. Do you have any good resources that explain what they are and how to use them?

I have the Golden Hour and a number of other Shortcuts that run using GPS and work ok from the App, the widget and even Launch Center Pro. But when I add them to Siri and run by voice input they fail to access my location and all relevant data is missing from the response. What am I missing?

See this thread.

1 Like

Hi,
Thank you so much for the explanations about dictionaries!
I was stuck on a Shortcut to prefill name and email in an URL for a Typeform I am working on. Now I can preselect the recipient and he will get his form response via email automatically! :smiley:

1 Like

Hereā€™s one article,

Basics of Computer Programming 101 - Variables and Data Types

It also appears that the list name is case sensitive. I had to make I put them in my list as lowercase for it to work in the Twitter app.

Just listened to the show today, coincidentally also discovered I can put Google assistant on my iPhone. Iā€™m an android user at heart but work assigns me iOS devicesā€¦
So I experimented with shortcuts and now can hail Siri, ask her to put me through to google, and speak to my usual google assistant! Thanks for the inspiration!
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1TJ4KEWf1dO2zsgF-JwTG3KWvr__vetfh