Automators 1: Automating Calendar Events

Have a look at this as an example:
https://workflow.is/workflows/24b35731dd8942c39bbc4001d9bbe4a3

Essentially you’re going to need a fair few “adjust date” actions - and make sure the date magic variables are set to time only :slight_smile:

1 Like

New Workflow - Things to Calendar

OK… so this episode inspired me to go fix a problem I was having. On the Mac, I like to plan my day with dragging Things tasks over to my calendar to block time for work. On iOS, that is not possible. Since I am now doing my planning on the train going in to work, I needed a solution.

What I did was create a Workflow share extension that takes a task from Things, and adds it to my calendar. When I share the task, it asks me when I want to start it, and defaults to a 30 min block of time. I have a chance to change that prior to saving it. It is basic, but it works.

I wish I could grab the task link, or separate the title from the Notes… but for now, this solved my problem. Sharing with all of you lovely people.

https://workflow.is/workflows/df661881e1a74faa8ab56af0401fc3c5

2 Likes

Is there a way to make events “all-day”? I schedule the events each year for my department, and many of the events are all-day, several days, or even all-week long. Is there a way to add a column or a variable or a checkbox (something!) to the Numbers table so that it enters those events correctly?

Currently, I’ve been doing this the other way: make all the events in the calendar, and then export it as a .ics, then using Free ICS to CSV Converter convert it to CSV document, which I can then convert into a spreadsheet. Most (all?) of my colleagues are on Macs/iPhones and so being able to import a calendar into their system is ideal. But some colleagues really like to see the events as a table, just like the Numbers spreadsheet.

From memory if you skip the duration it should default to an all date event.

Yes, there is, through a Boolean variable. I was thinking about adding it to the table and then I decided to wait until someone asks for it :smile:. Or maybe it can be cheated by skipping duration as @RosemaryOrchard suggested. Will look into it.

3 posts were split to a new topic: Editing an event with Workflow

This should do it:

New version of the Numbers sheet supporting all days events

New version of the AppleScript

5 Likes

Thank you so much for this first episode, screencasts and for sharing your workflows! The “Parsing a list of events with Numbers” will save me lots of time when adding all of my teaching classes to Fantastical. Already tried and works perfectly. Brilliant! Thank you.

1 Like

I’m glad you have a use for it!

Thank you Jiri, @jplacek . As I try to run this, I get the same error over and over; clearly I don’t understand what I’m doing wrong. “Calendar got an error: Can’t make missing value into type text.”

Here’s my test spreadsheet.

Any thoughts on what I’m doing wrong?

Hello Eric, I tested your sheet and it seems the problem is that the field for URL/Notes cannot be empty. So if you don’t have anything specific to put there, just leave e.g. “note” in there. It`s not very elegant solution but the fastest right now. Also I would format the alert columns as Number, although that was not the primary cause of the error you were getting. Hope this helps :smile:

2 Likes

Love the show and this episode. My question. It seems that a lot of your bulk event scheduling was done on Mac? Is this possible on iPad? in iOS. I want to begin automating more of my calendar entries but can’t quite afford a 50 dollar calendar app on the Mac.

If you use the same spreadsheet linked in the blog post, there’s a Workflow which would add it all via Fantastical which is of course much more affordable on iOS, there’s also a Drafts action which uses Fantastical. There’s also a Drafts action linked above which might manage it on its own: here.

2 Likes

Great first episode. I’ve already loaded the workflow to add events to the calendar, modded it for my needs. Worked great today adding an appointment at the doctor’s office. This alone is worth the price of admission.

2 Likes

GREAT first episode! So much fun stuff to play with. I especially loved David’s automated Workflow to confirm upcoming meetings. But just seeing the different ways y’all are using workflow is super helpful to wrap my mind around he app! Excited for future episodes.

2 Likes

Great premier episode! I have an automation question that I do hope that someone has a solution for. I would love to be able to be able to have an automation that can look at calendar events in a specific calendar, at a specific time out (say 6 months or so), and add a reminder to either Omnifocus or Reminders that is related to that event. For instance, there is a quote out for an event that is 6 months out, and you havn’t gotten a response, and you want to be sure to follow up. It would be great to have a reminder automatically populate.

The very last workflow I shared would do this with some small modifications :slight_smile:

Thanks. I have been racking my brain trying to figure out how to make this work. I’ll have a closer look/listen, and see if I figure out how to get it to work for me.

What are the FANTASTICAL script in TEXTEXPANDER to put in an appointment with name and location?

EXAMPLE: Meet with Joe Brown
Starbucks, 101 Main Street, Greenvilke, SC

something like this will do it I think:

%filltext:name=What date?% %filltext:name=What time?% %fillpopup:name=appointment type:meet with:appointment at:default=talk to% %filltext:name=field 1% in %filltext:name=where?%