Wireless button for home automation

Hi everybody, I recently got a bunch of IFTTT compatible light bulbs. I set up some siri shortcuts that use webhooks to turn the lights on and off, etc, which allows me to do a bunch of automation. However, my family want physical buttons they can press to turn the lights on and off as well. All the searches I do for smart switches come up with switches that wire into the wall and don’t require smart bulbs. Does anybody know where I can find some thing that is IFTTT compatible and allows me to just have an applet: “If this button is pressed, then turn on the light.” Thanks in advance!

1 Like

Maybe try flic 2, they integrate with IFTTT.

If you’re into DIY projects, there are loads of videos online about building your own smart switches, smart levers, etc.

Most of the time, people are going to want what they are used to and having wall switches is a good way forward. Alternatively, if you happen to know that’s an issue (e.g. rented properties), then choosing the right lighting options can be a big benefit. For example Hue have remotes that magnetically attach to a plate that you can stick more or less anywhere. That’s what we use in my bedroom and the bedroom of my kids - it means we can control the lights from the bed.

Yeah, I just checked out great Flic and it looks great. I think it will be the perfect solution.Thanks so much for the help!

I love Flic – I just wish they were a tad bit cheaper. Other than price, they’re absolutely perfect. :smiley:

I’ve also heard good things about the IKEA controller. You can obviously control IKEA stuff out of the box (with their gateway, of course,) but since it’s zigbee you could connect it to SmartThings or any other hubs with zigbee connectivity. It’s not technically supported (see below), but I’ve heard of a lot of people having success with it.

There’s also SmartThings buttons that I’ve used and they work, but their battery life kinda sucks.

This thread isn’t a bad place to find other options too. But you’ve gotta have SmartThings, unfortunately.