Why is Overlay Image step not working?

I was inspired by @fischgeek’s recent post to explore other ideas. I’m stuck on what seems to be a bug, though I imagine I’m overlooking something.

The Overlay Image step exits with no output. Why?

https://www.icloud.com/shortcuts/3eba33f490e14d3da3a973bd34b44716

That shortcut produces output from the overlay step for me. Maybe a temporary glitch; try restarting your device?

It’s odd. I thought the same. I’ve rebooted (many times!) and have tried on multiple devices. Same result:

I’m stumped

Well, to continue the mystery… I just ran the Shortcut again and it worked fine. Not a single change in either the Shortcut or the device state since the last run that failed.

:man_shrugging:

Did you open the shortcut before running it? There are memory limits and often having the shortcut open allows you the memory required to get the job done whereas running from any other view might not.

I’ve tried to run it so many times I’m honestly not sure! It was certainly failing running from the open shortcut and I think it was failing when running from the Library view.

I can’t reproduce the issue… It’s running consistently now, so I guess I will close this ticket! :smile: