Tutorial: Scriptable development process with TypeScript, file bundling & minimization, and some helper utils

Scriptable has been my hobby for years; I started playing around with it at the same time I started my career as a software engineer, and as I’ve matured as an engineer, my Scriptable setup has as well.

Something I’ve been wanting to do for years is share my development process, which is, briefly:

• Write my scripts in TypeScript, spread across numerous files
  • Compile, bundle, and minify scripts into a single JS file per Scriptable “app”

Anyway, I’ve finally gotten around to documenting and publishing everything so others can perhaps benefit. If you’re a software engineer, this setup won’t be revolutionary. If you’re not, it might be a little intimidating, but hopefully it is approachable.

I just launched the documentation here: Scriptable Utils

I would say everything is still in “alpha” or “beta” – AFAIK no one has ever used this code besides me, so there is quite a bit that is tailor-made for me.

But check it out, and let me know if you have any questions or suggestions.

Thanks!

PS - shoutout to @schl3ck for his great npm package @types/scriptable-ios, which I include in my tutorial.

7 Likes