Triggering a Shortcut or Keyboard Maestro on the Mac

This might be a really obvious question, but if I set a focus mode on my watch (or iPhone or iPad) I can use the Shortcuts automation feature to have shortcuts run.

What I can’t figure out is how to trigger a Keyboard Maestro macro or a Shortcut on the mac, based on a focus mode being set on one of my mobile devices… What am I missing I’m sure this must be possible?

The Mac doesn’t have Shortcuts automation triggers, so I don’t think you are missing anything.

But on your i*OS devices you do have the triggers. So how about having one of them write a file to iCloud Drive, have Keyboard Maestro with a folder trigger on that folder, and then automate from there?

If you don’t mind having third-party apps, Shortery has a Focus Mode trigger that can be used to run your shortcuts.

2 Likes

At the time of writing there are no “Shortcuts-native” ways to cleanly live-detect a focus change, so any suggestion above is valid.

If that can be of any use, this thread talks about figuring out the current focus mode. That’s still not live detection though.

(it’s time for Apple to add Shortcuts Automation on macOS :slight_smile: )