Siri Shortcuts in iOS 15

Hi - I just feel I have to vent about Siri Shortcuts. I’m sorry if all this has been mentioned before.

I’m finding many of my Shortcuts are failing, especially based on triggers such as time of day/week, Mail is broken in Shortcuts, Apple Notes can be created but no longer updated and, most bizarrely of all I trigger a simple, one action Shortcut to add a reminder to a particular list and as well as working as intended, it opens my camera and launches a particular website. Also, I’m receiving error messages when Shortcuts work as intended and when they don’t.

Does anyone know what is going on and are you finding the same?

I normally come on here to be inspired and to look for help but the way iOS 15 has left Shortcuts has left me scratching my head!

Thanks, Brian

Hi @BrianOxley,

What happens if you try to trigger those automated shortcuts manually? iOS 15 seems to have added some dialogs on shortcut first run which allows the shortcut access to certain apps/features. If you don’t allow that, the shortcut will fail. The automated ones may be failing pseudo-silently as a result of that.

Hope this helps.

1 Like

Thanks for letting me know about this. I will have a look. :grinning::white_check_mark:

I’m with you on this.
Shortcuts is a mess at the moment.

Really hope they sort it out soon… (not holding my breath though)

It is a real mess and lots of issues. Often completely unusable and extremely buggy. 15.1 beta fixes a lot of issues if you want to install it but still a long way to go. Hopefully they will get there on the 15.1 beta cycle.

Thanks David. Given the responses I have received from my ‘vent’ today, I have decided to cut my losses and work around the problems for now. I do hope the iOS 15.1 is helpful.

After my ‘vent’ today, I’ve decided to change the way I work with certain shortcuts to reduce the frustration and annoyance I’ve been feeling. It’ll mean a bit more intervention from me, which I’ve been trying to reduce by using the automated ‘personal’ automations tab on Shortcuts, but I’d rather this than the constant fails and crashing I’ve been experiencing. Thanks to everyone who provided helpful insight and information on this thread.

This is one of the many reasons that I have decided to stay on 14.8 until either 15.1, 15.2, or 15.3 depending on how many of the current issues get resolved in the coming updates.

1 Like

It’s certainly taught me a lesson :sweat_smile:

1 Like

In case you want to read more about other people’s issues with shortcuts, the r/Shortcuts community will usually give you an idea of whether or not you should update.

My advice is usually always to wait on major versions (I.e. 14.8->15.0) and any minor versions (I.e. 14.8->14.9) are generally okay in terms of shortcuts

Thank you very much for doing this for me. I shall take a look.

1 Like