Shortcuts Help; Price, Cost, Set Margin

I need some help (a lot of help). When entering an order at my job for a customer, I can see the selling price, and selling margin. I want to have a shortcut that will tell me our cost, allow me to put the margin I want to sell it at, and then the selling price.

The entry data would look like this:

What’s the current price?
What’s the current margin?
What would you like the margin set at?

So, the output data would look like this:

Cost:
Selling Price:

I know what I want to do, just don’t know how to implement it. I’ll Cash app someone if they can create it.

Here’s an example to work from.

You’ll see I’ve illustrated the calculation using 2 different methods. Straight Shortcuts and with the use of Toolbox Pro.

Toolbox Pro provides a wonderful Perform Calculation action that significantly simplifies multi-step mathematical calculations.

I hope this helps. Let me know if questions — jay

https://www.icloud.com/shortcuts/535abff3e2d9442195562b51bb055290

Question, how did you come up with the calculations on cost? This is the part I struggle with. I’m not a mathematician by any stretch of the imagination. When I tested it on a few products, the cost and new selling margin were off. Trying to see what I need to do to correct it?

Well, maybe my math isn’t so good either! :smile:

Here’s the formula I used based on my understanding of what you are trying to do. If this doesn’t make sense, maybe you can post an example of pricing results that you would expect.

Based off of your username, your math is 100x better than mine lol. I should had clarified, it’s profit margin I’m looking for.

Here is an example:

Current Price: $109.19
Current Margin: 49.67 %

Desired Margin: 36%
New Price: $85.84

I’m sorry, I still don’t understand. I’m missing something…

If the the current price is $109.19 and current margin is 49.67%, the current cost of the widget using the formula I posted above is $72.95

$72.95 * 49.67% = $36.23 (current profit amount)
$72.95 + $36.23 = $109.18

Then, with cost of $72.95 and desired profit margin of 36% the new cost would be…

$72.95 + ($72.95 * 36%) = $99.21

and… I should add… I’m not a sales guy so maybe I don’t understand margins! :rofl:

I think I have it figured out. What your finding is margin, not profit margin. I know, it’s confusing for me as well.