I built this Shortcuts workflow to quickly get movie information when I’m browsing iTunes or Netflix for something to watch. Rather than switching over to Safari, opening a new tab, typing the URL, loading the web site, typing the name of the movie, then going back to iTunes, you can just install this Shortcut. Then, use the system-wide share sheet to get information about the movie in a few taps!
What it Does:
Activate this workflow from the systemwide share sheet, as follows:
- Find a movie title in iTunes or Netflix; or, type the name of the movie in a text editor like Drafts and “share” the text.
- Tap Shortcuts on the bottom row of the share sheet. (If it’s not visible there, tap More, then toggle Shortcuts on.)
- Tap the Movie Information workflow.
- Choose a lookup service:
The services available are:
- IMDB, to look up plot summaries, cast, and production information
- JustWatch, a great service for looking up streaming sites that might have an iTunes movie for free
- Common Sense Media to see if the movie is appropriate for the whole family
- Rotten Tomatoes, for movie reviews
The workflow uses regular expression matching to determine if the link was shared from Netflix or iTunes, and then it strips out the extraneous information to leave just the name. If the text passed into the workflow doesn’t match one of these formats, the workflow assumes it is a movie title in plain text and uses that string for the search.
Note: Due to format differences, this workflow might not work with localization settings outside the U.S.
Do you have a favorite app or movie lookup service not covered by the workflow? Build an enhancement and post it back here for everyone to see!