Scriptable: wget capable Javascript?

I really don’t know any Javascript (but are hoping to learn sometime soon :crossed_fingers:) but I was wondering if it is:

• possible to run a wget capable kind of JS script in Scriptable?

• presenting the downloaded HTML page through the Webviev instance in Scriptable (I’ve been going through the documentation in Scriptable)?
      • I’m hoping to create a web app out of open-source JS web apps, that resides and is called from iCloud drive
        • Hoping this could be done through Scriptable :crossed_fingers:
  • is it possible to do webscraping through JS in Scriptable?

• if so: I’ve been searching for a type of generic JS that delivers a JSON result making it possible to deliver the resulting dictionary to Siri Shortcut and extract key values in plain text for further presentation in Shortcut
      • Possible?

Follow-up question - somewhat related to previous scripts but also generic JS scripts

I’ve read it’s possible to create a temporary web page to run custom JS within

• is this done through Siri Shortcut, Scriptable, or through a combination of both?

That’s quite a few questions, so here’s a few brief answers.

Take a look at Request in Scriptable. This can be used to retrieve web content which is what WGET does.

You can indeed load any HTML you retrieve in a Scriptable web view, or even load it directly from a URL.

iCloud Drive is file based rather than URL based access, so look at Scriptable’s FileManager for that.

In terms of web scraping, if you use a Scriptable web view to evaluate a URL, you can then access the resulting content through the document object model for the page. There are a few examples of this on this forum.

JSON is JavaScript Object Notation, so it’s built into the language. Just read an intro to get a handle on it.

You can run JavaScript ‘in a page’ in both Scriptable and Shortcuts. There are examples of both available in this forum.

Hope that’s enough to point you in the right direction on things.

2 Likes

Thanks for your answers, you call them brief, but it’s great for pointing me in the right direction (no sense in giving solutions - where’s the fun & challenge in that, I agree + I want to learn :slightly_smiling_face:)

I’ll look at the intro and scour this forum for the info I need.

If/when I get this working I’ll throw an iCloud link for the script(s) :wink: