Run shortcut when phone is put on charger?

We’ve got a home alarm that has a shortcuts enabled app, and I’d like for it to run automatically when I put my phone on the charger at the end of the day. So, essentially, I guess it would look like this, but I don’t know how to set it up:

IF phone is charging

AND

IF time is after 11 PM

RUN

“Turn on alarm.”

Is that possible? Do I need a third party app?

Thanks!

2 Likes

That might work if you add an automation checking for the device to be charging, which then runs a shortcut checking the time, and if that is after 11pm sets the alarm.

Dont think automations can use 2 triggers (charger + time) on its own.

I have a personal automation that runs when I connect it to power that runs a shortcut. That shortcut checks the time and if it is after 9 PM and connected to my home Wifi, it turns out my bedroom light, connects to the Air Play speaker in my bedroom and then, regardless of where I am, it plays 50 minutes of noise via Dark Noise to help me relax/sleep.

The key to checking the time is to reformat the date as just the hours (the number action).

Hope that helps.

3 Likes

Thanks, y’all, this is great. I’d love to get more into shortcuts this year, but I don’t always know what to do when.

I’ll check these out.

Thanks for the “how to just extract the time” tip. Just yesterday I needed it - for extracting today’s Omnifocus tasks and updating a draft with the Due Time. (I used the same method - but I was wondering if that was the best/only way.)

1 Like