Rogue DEVONthink Automation (OK, not rogue, but still!)

I’m wondering if anyone has any ideas on this one.

At some point, I set SOMETHING up to save emails from a specific newsletter to DEVONthink. This was back when I thought about using DT for my RSS reader, which didn’t last long.

Now, I can’t figure out where the automation lives. I checked Mail for rules, my Gmail for rules, DTPro for any scripts or import rules, IFTTT, etc. I just can’t figure out where this is coming from. My next step is to just set up a rule in DEVONthink to delete them, but fixing an automation with another automation seems less than ideal.

Any ideas, y’all?

1 Like

I think you need to walk it through backwards, but maybe one of these?

• Could you have a folder action, Hazel rule, or Keyboard Maestro trigger set to push EML files into the app?
  • Check your web services that could link up your e-mail to your system.
  • If you think they might come in via a cloud sync’d folder, maybe try deleting the folder and see if you get an error somewhere of a failure.
  • Recheck your local e-mail client automations, including plugins.

Another thing you could try is changing your e-mail password and revising any access tokens and seeing if any services complain about not having access, then reconnect them one at a time until your feed starts up again. Similarly you could try disabling your e-mail provider directly in particular web services, but I would expect you would be able to filter for automations using e-mail and whatever cloud file sync services you might use.

Along the same lines, you could turn off any devices you have that could be doing this. A Mac in a cupboard you might run scripts on for example.

Of course, hindsight being 20/20, you have now reached the threshold that you should probably document your automations. I have an Obsidian vault that I keep my documentation about my automations and other solutions. It is very much a retrospective work in progress. I’ve been building it for a few years in various tools as an as-and-when endeavour. As in it is still far from complete.

Anything new goes in, but anything old goes in only when I need to check it, reference it elsewhere, or generally think, I should document that before I forget about it entirely.

1 Like

@sylumer - Totally agree on documenting automations. I started doing that a few months ago, but this pre-dates that revelation.

I finally figured it out. I checked my disabled local mail rules and found one that send a different newsletter to DT using a script. That led me to the com.apple.mail folder where I found some old mail scripts, one of which had been modified to run independent of mail rules. I have no recollection of doing this, or who helped me, because I do not understand these scripts at all ¯_(ツ)_/¯

Mystery solved, and I’m adding a link to this folder to my Obsidian doc right freakin’ now.

2 Likes