Regexp not working

Hi everybody,

I had a macro that was working on one Mac, and then when I synced it with a new Mac it doesn’t work anymore. It complains that the regular expression failed to match, but when I check it on https://regex101.com/ it works fine.

Here is an example of the text:

To: servicedesk@somecompany.com
Subject: Parking space
Time: 2020-11-03T14:18:39+00:00
---------------------------------------------
Hi!

I'd like to reserve a parking spot.

I use this regexp expression which works fine on https://regex101.com:
\A(.+)(\n+)(.+)(\n+)([\s\S]+)

However, this fails in Keyboard Maestro with the following config (the clipboard contains the text when I paste it into a text editor):

Not sure what I’m doing wrong? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

Adding the screenshot from https://regex101.com/ since I could only attach one screenshot per post:

As long as I’m talking to myself I might as well continue :slight_smile: It turns out that if I copy the text from a new page in TextEditor, the text is parsed correctly and the regexp works, but when I copy the text in the notes section in Microsoft ToDo, the text is not parsed correctly.

If I paste the text I copied from ToDo into a TextEditor page, the text is parsed correctly, which leads me to believe the copy operation is somehow not in plain text…

1 Like

That seems likely from your findings. Have you tried displaying the results of the copy action to a window or saving to a variable to determine if it’s not plaintext?

The macro is replicating keystrokes, so I try and replicate the keystrokes (cmd-A->cmd-C->Esc) and then pasting the results in a TextEditor window, and the text is copied correctly. I’m not really sure how to save the text into a variable and then run the regexp on the variable… Not yet at least :slight_smile:

So I added the step “Display System Clipboard”, and the contents look correct, the right information is copied. So now I’m back at the question why the regexp fails…

Well, time to close this issue; the problem was that there was no problem: the regexp didn’t match anything since I was only putting text into variables, not matching any specific string. Once I removed the notification that the regexp failed, and disabled the option to abort the macro because of this failure, the macro completed perfectly.

You learn something new everyday…

EDIT: scratch that, this is not working. Soo frustrating, can’t understand why the regex is not parsing the clipboard.

This may just take us back to the Jamie Zawinski quote:

[Now they have two problems](https://www.goodreads.com/author/quotes/7549076.Jamie_Zawinski)

The cost / benefit of regular expressions is often doubtful, and as they grow, they quickly approach a write-only condition.

If you are using Keyboard Maestro then it might be more productive (quicker to test and debug) to:

1. use an Execute JavaScript action
  2. Split into lines ( String.split )
  3. Find the lines that start with particular strings ( String.startsWith )

(remember that line-endings coming in from Microsoft software may not be LF delimited)

Thanks! Im kind of a novice, any tips on how it would look?

I’m working under the assumption that it’s the format that’s off; if I paste the text from ToDo into TextEdit, and then copy the text from TextEdit back to ToDo and run the macro, it works. So if there is a way to transform the clipboard to plain text that’d be great!

Well, first we need to take a look at that clipboard.

(If there is already any public.utf8-plain-text among the clipboard formats in there, (and we can skip conversion from RTF/HTML) then you may be able to set your KM variables by pasting the whole of the draft below (scroll right down to the end) into a Keyboard Maestro Execute JavaScript for Automation action.

If this verbose experimental draft works, then we can give you something simpler and more accessible. (It’s faster to me to start with a lot of copy-paste)

Experimental draft for setting KM variables if the clipboard contains any UTF8
(() => {
    'use strict';

ObjC.import('AppKit');

// main : IO ()
    const main = () => {
        const kme = Application('Keyboard Maestro Engine');
        return either(x => x)(x => x)(
            bindLR(
                clipTextLR()
            )(txt => {
                // Lines parsed by a split
                const dict = lines(txt).reduce(
                    (a, s) => {
                        const parts = s.split(': ');
                        return 1 < parts.length ? (
                            Object.assign({
                                [parts[0]]: parts
                                    .slice(1)
                                    .join(': ')
                            }, a)
                        ) : a;
                    }, {}
                );
                // Any captured values saved to 
                // KM variables.
                return Right(
                    ['To', 'Subject', 'Time']
                    .map(k => {
                        const
                            v = dict[k],
                            varName = `ToDo${k}`;
                        return undefined !== v ? (
                            kme.setvariable(
                                varName, {
                                    to: v
                                }
                            ),
                            `${varName}: ${kme.getvariable(varName)}`
                        ) : `${k}: ?`
                    })
                )
            })
        );
    }

// ----------------------- JXA -----------------------

// clipTextLR :: () -> Either String String
    const clipTextLR = () => (
        v => Boolean(v) && 0 < v.length ? (
            Right(v)
        ) : Left('No utf8-plain-text found in clipboard.')
    )(
        ObjC.unwrap($.NSPasteboard.generalPasteboard
            .stringForType($.NSPasteboardTypeString))
    );

// --------------------- GENERIC ---------------------
    // https://github.com/RobTrew/prelude-jxa

// Left :: a -> Either a b
    const Left = x => ({
        type: 'Either',
        Left: x
    });

// Right :: b -> Either a b
    const Right = x => ({
        type: 'Either',
        Right: x
    });

// bindLR (>>=) :: Either a -> 
    // (a -> Either b) -> Either b
    const bindLR = m =>
        mf => undefined !== m.Left ? (
            m
        ) : mf(m.Right);

// either :: (a -> c) -> (b -> c) -> Either a b -> c
    const either = fl =>
        // Application of the function fl to the
        // contents of any Left value in e, or
        // the application of fr to its Right value.
        fr => e => 'Either' === e.type ? (
            undefined !== e.Left ? (
                fl(e.Left)
            ) : fr(e.Right)
        ) : undefined;

// lines :: String -> [String]
    const lines = s =>
        // A list of strings derived from a single
        // newline-delimited string.
        0 < s.length ? (
            s.split(/[\r\n]+/)
        ) : [];

return JSON.stringify(
        main(),
        null, 2
    );
})();

Thank you so much for your help! This is what the clipboard viewer macro outputs:

{
  "public.rtf as string": "{\\rtf1\\ansi\\ansicpg1252\\cocoartf2513\n\\cocoatextscaling0\\cocoaplatform0{\\fonttbl\\f0\\fnil\\fcharset0 HelveticaNeue;}\n{\\colortbl;\\red255\\green255\\blue255;\\red99\\green99\\blue101;\\red52\\green79\\blue238;}\n{\\*\\expandedcolortbl;;\\cssrgb\\c46275\\c46275\\c47059;\\cssrgb\\c26275\\c41569\\c94902;}\n\\pard\\tx560\\tx1120\\tx1680\\tx2240\\tx2800\\tx3360\\tx3920\\tx4480\\tx5040\\tx5600\\tx6160\\tx6720\\sl-340\\slleading80\\pardirnatural\\partightenfactor0\n\n\\f0\\fs26 \\cf2 From: {\\field{\\*\\fldinst{HYPERLINK \"mailto:zakaria.bennani@gmail.com\"}}{\\fldrslt \\cf3 \\ul \\ulc3 zakaria.bennani@gmail.com}}\r\\\nSubject: Parking space\r\\\nTime:2020-11-04T07:36:49+00:00\r\\\n---------------------------------------------\r\\\nHi!\r\\\n\r\\\nI'd like to reserve a parking spot.\r\\\n}",
  "public.rtf as data": "{\\rtf1\\ansi\\ansicpg1252\\cocoartf2513\n\\cocoatextscaling0\\cocoaplatform0{\\fonttbl\\f0\\fnil\\fcharset0 HelveticaNeue;}\n{\\colortbl;\\red255\\green255\\blue255;\\red99\\green99\\blue101;\\red52\\green79\\blue238;}\n{\\*\\expandedcolortbl;;\\cssrgb\\c46275\\c46275\\c47059;\\cssrgb\\c26275\\c41569\\c94902;}\n\\pard\\tx560\\tx1120\\tx1680\\tx2240\\tx2800\\tx3360\\tx3920\\tx4480\\tx5040\\tx5600\\tx6160\\tx6720\\sl-340\\slleading80\\pardirnatural\\partightenfactor0\n\n\\f0\\fs26 \\cf2 From: {\\field{\\*\\fldinst{HYPERLINK \"mailto:zakaria.bennani@gmail.com\"}}{\\fldrslt \\cf3 \\ul \\ulc3 zakaria.bennani@gmail.com}}\r\\\nSubject: Parking space\r\\\nTime:2020-11-04T07:36:49+00:00\r\\\n---------------------------------------------\r\\\nHi!\r\\\n\r\\\nI'd like to reserve a parking spot.\r\\\n}",
  "public.utf8-plain-text as string": "From: zakaria.bennani@gmail.com\r\nSubject: Parking space\r\nTime:2020-11-04T07:36:49+00:00\r\n---------------------------------------------\r\nHi!\r\n\r\nI'd like to reserve a parking spot.\r\n",
  "public.utf8-plain-text as data": "From: zakaria.bennani@gmail.com\r\nSubject: Parking space\r\nTime:2020-11-04T07:36:49+00:00\r\n---------------------------------------------\r\nHi!\r\n\r\nI'd like to reserve a parking spot.\r\n"
}

I then added the action “Execute a JavaScript for Automation” and pasted the provided code into the text box. The end result was that my original macro now completes and I get a window with the following contents:

[
  "To: ?",
  "Subject: ?",
  "Time: ?"
]

I’m using the “Subject:” variable to perform a search in Outlook, and the search now completes (no error in the regexp which is a step forward), but the variable used in the search is this (not the subject line variable):

"To: ?",

Here is a link to my original macro if you want to have a look at the whole thing.

Any idea what could be missing? Feels like we’re so close! :slight_smile:

Yes, the problem is visible in the clipboard listing – the line endings are Windows-style \r\n, rather than the default Mac/Unix \n, and this will have been complicating the segmentation and matching of the lines.

Your Regex anticipates \n line-breaks, and doesn’t match the actual \r\n sequences.

I’ll take a look at your macro later on.

OK, it seems that all you are looking for is the Subject: line, and the value following that prefix.

I would personally:

• clamber out of the regex tar-pit
  • split the lines on \r\n
  • find the the first line that starts with 'Subject: ', and take the rest of it.

You could do this in AppleScript or JS.

Here, FWIW, is a JS version, with source code, for pasting into a KM Execute JXA action, below:

Copy all of this and paste into the Execute JavaScript for Automation action:

(() => {
    'use strict';

ObjC.import('AppKit');

const main = () => {
        const
            xs = lines(clipboardText()),
            subjectLine = xs.find(
                x => x.startsWith('Subject')
            );

return undefined !== subjectLine ? (
            subjectLine.split(': ')[1]
        ) : 'Subject not found ...'
    };

// ----------------------- JXA -----------------------

// clipboardText :: IO () -> String
    const clipboardText = () =>
        // Any plain text in the clipboard.
        ObjC.unwrap(
            $.NSString.alloc.initWithDataEncoding(
                $.NSPasteboard.generalPasteboard
                .dataForType($.NSPasteboardTypeString),
                $.NSUTF8StringEncoding
            )
        );

// lines :: String -> [String]
    const lines = s =>
        // A list of strings derived from a single
        //  string delimited by newline and or CR
        0 < s.length ? (
            s.split(/[\r\n]+/)
        ) : [];

return main();
})();

This works, THANK YOU SO MUCH! I’m pretty particular with my workflow, and this helps me immensely!

1 Like

Good, I’m glad that worked well : -)