I’m the developer of X.app, PiP extension app.
On iOS 15 Shortcuts app introduces a new way of data input - “Receive What’s On Screen” - basically Shortcuts app can see app’s information, like the current URL in browser, etc.
I created a shortcut, which gets a YouTube video URL from Safari/Chrome/Brave and instantly opens it in my PiP app, without activating a Share Sheet or copying a URL to Clipboard.
I activate this shortcut via a double tap action on AssistiveTouch button, Back Tap works the same.
If you want to try it (iOS 15 required):
- Download X.app: https://apps.apple.com/app/apple-store/id1533525753?pt=119131575&ct=Automators-Talk-Shortcuts&mt=8
- Install Shortcut https://www.icloud.com/shortcuts/cae223a87a064501b94ad614f97017ef
- Attach Shortcut to AssistiveTouch or Back Tap action (Settings.app > Accessibility > Touch > [AssistiveTouch or Back Tap])
- In Safari/Chrome/Brave open YouTube video (or any video site) and activate Shortcut via Back Tap or AssistiveTouch.
- Press Picture-in-Picture in X.app
What do you think?