Pushcut Automation Server, OmniFocus, and "Background Sync"

The other day I created a new Pushcut server automation that would check OmniFocus for a task called Change batteries: Backyard Camera.

• If the task existed already, it would do nothing.
  • But if the task didn’t exist, then it would create a new one.

The automation portion of this works great! (I have it coupled with Home Assistant, where the actual battery check is happening.) And if I look at OmniFocus from the iPad running the automation server, I see that the task got added.

The problem seems to be that OmniFocus doesn’t sync unless it’s been opened. And so I never see the task on my phone or any other devices because the the action was added via Shortcuts, which never opened the app.

Have y’all run into similar issues with syncing? And how do you get around it, if so? For my particular case, I had a few ideas:

• Send it to Reminders instead, and let OmniFocus import from Reminders. (But this feels like checking to find the existing task might be hard?)
  • Open up the app via the shortcut. Then wait a few seconds and open up the Pushcut app again. I’m not sure if this would work, though.

Hoping that someone else has run into this already and had some potential solutions here. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I was able to resolve this by adding an Open "OmniFocus" step to my shortcut. I’m not sure if there was a better way to do that, but that seems to have unblocked this for now.