Positioning elements in a widget

Besides using spacing, padding on the ListWidget and text alignment, is it possible to position element in any other ways within a widget? Coming from a web dev background, I can position an element absolutely 10px from the top & right of another element. Is something like that possible?

@simonbs will add ā€œstacksā€ as an additional way of positioning items in the next update:

3 Likes

Hey @simonbs this is great! Now that the beta is out can you give us some sample code for these grids? Thanks!

2 Likes

Sure! Iā€™ve added a few examples over in this thread:

1 Like

i seem to have element alignment issues inside a stack with the beta. no matter what sh set, the text is always right-aligned.

Iā€™d like to look into that this. Can you show your code, or parts of it, so as can reproduce the problem?

For me the text was alway centered (for a stack within a stack), even if I set it to left or right alignedā€¦

What seemed to help me was explicitly defining a horizontal or vertical layout for each stack.

But now that I want elements centered I canā€™t get them centeredā€¦

• This is a horizontal stack with three vertical stacks inside.
  • All stacks are told to center align their content

(I expected text to be centered like my previous version of this widget and logos aligned with the team names)

Sorry, I just read about spacersā€¦

Using spacers and more stacks (way more code) I got what I wanted:

Does centerAlignContent still do anything?

(Maybe remove it from code & documentation otherwise?)

hereā€™s the snippet. the idea is to have the date displayed at the lower left corner, and the week of day at the lower right corner.

let d = new Date()
let fmt = new DateFormatter()

let widget = new ListWidget()
widget.useDefaultPadding()
widget.backgroundColor = Color.white()
widget.addSpacer()

let body = widget.addStack()

let left = body.addStack()
left.addSpacer()
fmt.dateFormat = 'MMM dd, yyyy'
left.addText(fmt.string(d)).leftAlignText()

let right = body.addStack()
right.addSpacer()
fmt.dateFormat = 'EEEE'
right.addText(fmt.string(d)).rightAlignText()

widget.presentLarge()
1 Like

Thanks everyone. Iā€™ll look into the alignment issue for the next build.

The recommended way to center items moving forward will be to use spacers. Itā€™s much more flexible.

2 Likes

Isnā€™t this fixed if you call left.addSpacer() after instead of before left.addText()?

oh thank. that achieves the desired layout.

this means the direction of elements added to a stack is governed by layoutHorizontally() and layoutVertically(), which is something i didnā€™t pay attention to. thank you Rob for pointing that out.

2 Likes

yup. a lot easier to do this with a better understanding. i guess the methods topAlignContent(), centerAlignContent(), and bottomAlignContent() no longer have much use.

@simonbs would LineWidget gain the method of layoutHorizontally() to bring parity with WidgetStack?

let d = new Date()
let fmt = new DateFormatter()

let widget = new ListWidget()
widget.useDefaultPadding()
widget.backgroundColor = Color.white()
widget.addSpacer()

let body = widget.addStack()
fmt.dateFormat = 'MMM dd, yyyy'
body.addText(fmt.string(d))
body.addSpacer()
fmt.dateFormat = 'EEEE'
body.addText(fmt.string(d))

widget.presentLarge()

Thatā€™s a good question. I think I would rather keep it fixed as a vertical stack, and if you want the horizontal layout instead, then youā€™d just add a horizontal stack as the only element in the widget.