Passing dictionary to subroutine shortcut

Hello all,

I’ve run into a frustrating little problem, and I’m sure I’m just missing something.

I am trying to use Toolbox Pro’s advanced menus. I want to write a subroutine that will accept a dictionary, construct the menu and return the chosen result.

My problem is that I can’t seem to access the shortcut input. When I try to Set Variable it only gives me Clipboard and Current Date. If I use the Show Result command, I can see that the shortcut input is an option and works.

So my question is when I pass the dictionary, how do I grab it on the subroutine side?

Thanks for any thoughts you might have. Hopefully I’m just overlooking something.

So - another half hour of poking around and I found a solution. Just not sure its the right solution.

On the subroutine shortcut I selected “Show in Share Sheet”, then I deselected all of the share sheets. This put the shortcut input option at the top. I then set it as a variable, make a dictionary from input, then the shortcut works fine.

Is this the correct way to do this? Without the share sheet fix, why did some actions seem to “know” about the shortcut input and others gave me only the two options: Clipboard and Current Date? Is there a way to force this without setting the share sheet option?

Again, thanks for any thoughts.

1 Like

That’s how I do it as it keeps the variable available but the shortcut doesn’t appear in a share sheet.

You can enable the share sheet, add the variable in one place, disable share sheet and it will remain available for selection from the horizontal selection bar, as it is then used. But you can no longer access as a magic variable from the top of the Shortcut.

1 Like