No insecure URL background request? (self-signed SSL certificate)

Does Pushcut (not) allow background PUT requests to “https://” URL’s on devices that use a self-signed SSL certificate?

I would need this to modify a device state from my Apple Watch as an action in Pushcut.

PS: Even if it did, this would require a Pro subscription?

1 Like

self-signed stuff might be an issue with the Apple’s ATS (which I did not fully disable in Pushcut) unless it is on a the local network. maybe using the IP directly will work - but I have not tried this specifically.

if Pushcut does not allow it, you could try going through IFTTT or Integromat for all the webhook options…

in any case, you will need a pro subscription.

It’s a local address, but Pushcut does not allow it.

And because it’s local I guess IFTTT can’t help me here?

you should be able to install the certificate on your device manually and “trust it” via settings. I have never done this myself, but it should be possible.

also, did you try with “.local” in the URL, or with the IP directly?

Can’t remember; I think I used <device>.home.lan, but will test again with different combinations.

I can view the certificate on the iPhone, but I don’t see an option to save/download it.

I failed again:

• <device>.home.lan: An SSL error has occurred and a secure connection to the server cannot be made.
  • 192.168.x.y: The certificate for this server is invalid. You might be connecting to a server that is pretending to be “192.168.x.y” which could put your confidential information at risk.
  • <device>.local: The request timed out.
  • <device>: The certificate for this server is invalid. You might be connecting to a server that is pretending to be “<device>” which could put your confidential information at risk.

I also download the certificate from the device (using Firefox), converted it from PEM to DER (using openssl) and installed it on my iPhone using Apple Configurator 2, but requests still fail (while I did trust the certificate in the iOS Settings App).

So far I can only make requests to this device with Apps that allow insecure SSL (examples: Pythonista, Scriptable, HTTPBot).

Maybe try the steps listed here? They look to be a little different from what you described above.

Thank you for the link/suggestion, but it’s essentially what I already did: installing the certificate via a profile and trusting that certificate once installed.

Nice to know that you can do this by mailing the certificate; I took a harder route: putting it in a profile myself and AirDropping that.

Since the end result is the same it won’t solve my issue I think.