Mac Ventura (13.2) keeps crashing

Hi,

This has become a problem for me, in that on Mac OS Ventura (13.2 and also on 13.1 previously) Shortcuts.app would keep crashing on me when attempting to either create a new Shortcut or edit one. It has become so much and issue, that I have resolved to the following and wonder if others are having similar issues:

1. Disabled iCloud sync for Shortcuts on Mac and all my IOS devices
  2. Rebooted
  3. Moved the contents of ~/Library/Shortcuts/ to the Trash and emptied it
  4. Used TrashMe3 to search for and remove all Shortcuts related preferences and folders
  5. Rebooted

So that this point, I should have a clean slate right… Well yes, none of my custom Shortcuts are there anymore (I thankfully have a backup of them to import); but Shortcuts still keeps crashing.

Any one have similar issues/experiences? Any solutions, beyond reporting it to Apple repeatedly?

I think I recall @RosemaryOrchard saying on the most recent episode (#119) that Shortcuts was crashing when trying to open it on one of her Macs. Not exactly the same, but about as similar as I’ve heard of anyone experiencing recently.

• Are there any clues in your crash report to indicate what is causing the particular crash on your Mac?
  • Is Shortcuts the only app you are having this issue with?

Hi sylumer,

There’s no clue in my crash logs, that I can find as to the cause. It is the only app where it is happening. That said, I have some more details as to the likely cause, that being:

1. It doesn’t happen with any Gallery based and downloaded Shortcut
  2. It only happens with ones I either have created (prior to removing them, as per my original note) or that I attempt to create.
  3. It only seems to happen once I have started to create or edit a Dictionary inside the Shortcut. I was testing in a situation where I track medications I or my family use. It is setup as follows:
  • top level of dictionary is family_member name based

• within each family_member, there is a dictionary named:

• medication name

Therein, this dictionary keyword contained:
* medication
* number of pills
* frequency of use
* issuing physician
* physician’s telephone number

It is when attempting to (presently) create keywords at this level that the Shortcut crashes, or historically when it would crash (either attempting to revise some keyword’s associate text or number value) or adding a new medication and the dictionary details contained therein.

So simply put the dictionary should look like this:

Dictionary

• Family_member1
    • medication name
      • medication
      • number of pills
      • frequency of use
      • issuing physician
      • physician’s telephone number
    • medication name
      • medication
      • number of pills
      • frequency of use
      • issuing physician
  • Family_member2
    • medication name
      • medication
      • number of pills
      • frequency of use
      • issuing physician

This Dictionary setup worked in prior versions of Mac OS, so it has me suspecting either the nested Dictionary setup is the cause (likely; but then what should I do?) or Mac OS Ventura 13.1 and especially 13.2 has changed something that is therein causing it. Also, I can say this is also happening on the IOS (IOS 16.2 and 16.3, after updating) in Shortcuts. That, leads me to think it might be more the Dictionary setup I have; but it does happen in other non-dictionary using Shortcuts, so that makes me think it is Shortcuts itself and any underlying common code/components Mac OS Ventura (on M1 based Mac) and IOS 16.

That said, thank you for reading and any help you, the community, can offer.

I have experienced the same issue. I tried contacting Apple Support but the phone support folks weren’t able to help. They submitted my question/issue to the software/system engineers, but I’m not expecting any sort of response. Hopefully future versions of macOS and iOS will fix the issue as I cannot update/edit my shortcuts with dictionary variables at this point.

Just installed the most recent update (13.2.1) and I am also having these issues. This was the week I set aside to learn about dictionaries and start incorporating them into my Shortcuts :person_facepalming: