Let’s talk about Shortcuts on Mac!

I’ve gotten those to run on my Mac (though some of my shortcuts don’t run remotely when I try to trigger it from my phone via a shortcut using ssh.)

Does anyone know if there is Apple Script support for Shortcuts, where you can call them with Apple Script? I tried looking for a dictionary but didn’t find anything. I’ve heard references on podcasts (I thought) to using Apple Script to launch them but haven’t found the commands yet.

There is support for them in Apple Script, but it is not currently in the system. The shortcuts team said it will be in B2

3 Likes

Answers that. Thanks!

I wonder if it will be possible to run a Pushcut server from Mac. This of course depends on the Pushcut developers.

Maybe somebody should ask @sliemeobn :innocent:

I am working on bringing that functionality to the mac as we speak.

Since the mac is just a different environment there will be a new stand-alone app that does that (a “spin-off” if you will) - should be good! There will be more details when the first TestFlight version is ready.

Pushcut itself will also come to the mac, bringing its notification game there!

10 Likes

I believe you mentioned that Pushcut would come to the Mac once Shortcuts would in episode 38, when you were on the show, so I‘m happy to hear it‘s happening :+1:

Thank you for your time and effort, we are looking forward to it.

BTW, vielen Dank für die rasche Antwort!

3 Likes

Glad to hear that. Just an hour ago I set up a shortcut that triggers the Puschcut API so I could fire those off from my Mac since there wasn’t an app for it (yet).

Just discovered an interesting tidbit:

You can get the device model using the Device Details action, so that should allow shortcuts to run differently on different devices.

Here’s a quick demo of what that could look like:

5 Likes

hey Monterey users, how stable is the beta, are you using a spare laptop or is it stable enough for a work laptop?

1 Like

Unless your work involves developing for the beta, the response should always be don’t put it on a machine you have to rely on.

2 Likes

macOS is very stable in Monterey.

Shortcuts is not all that stable or usable yet so I would say don’t install Monterey for Shortcuts, there’s nothing “there” yet.

I have a 1TB SSD in my MacBook Air and installed Monterey on a separate APFS “volume” or whatever they’re called, and have been using it exclusively for the past few days, and it has worked great. However, I kept my Big Sur ‘volume’ around for things like Rogue Amoeba apps, which I assume won’t even come close to working until Monterey’s official release.

(Likewise, iOS 15 betas are very stable and works great, except for some things that just don’t. And you can’t “dual boot” iOS devices, so be even more cautious there.)

2 Likes

How much space does that install take ?

That’s a hard question to answer these days because Finder / APFS doesn’t always give you an accurate idea of how much disk space is being used.

I’d say 20GB at a minimum, but that’s just for the base OS and a user account. I wouldn’t do it unless you had at least 100 GB free, just because macOS does not like to run low on disk space.

Thanks…I have exactly 100.23 GB free on my M1 MBP…tempted.

1 Like

dang, will hibernate and set an alarm for whenever the next public beta is out, thanks a million too @sylumer

FYI - Jason Snell and Myke Hurley talked “Should enthusiasts install Monterey beta?” on today’s Upgrade (Upgrade #360: Big Minimizers).

Jason said (paraphrasing): “You might want to try the beta for Shortcuts, but Shortcuts is incredibly unstable right now. You might want to try it for Tab Groups, which are cool, but Safari’s overall current tab implementation is bad” [and Jason hopes/expects it will be changed by the time Monterey ships].

1 Like

I actually replaced one of my Keyboard Maestro scripts with a shortcut today. It is simple, but one I use everyday. Quit all apps and shutdown the laptop. Much simpler.

2 Likes

that’s pretty clever for a potato.

i’m always fascinated by mr snell’s entreaties that one mustn’t install the betas, except on a hygienically-sealed test computer with no access to your files. it’s excellent advice. i have never followed it, though.

every wwdc, it’s wake-up, first thing, find a hacked udid and brick every device i own. it’s the best. i love breaking my computers.

so, from the perspective of a completely irresponsible user monteray and ios15 have made me cry less than ever before.