Keyboard Maestro Obsidian Daily Journal

I recently moved my Daily Journal process from DEVONthink to Obsidian.

Through a combination of Applescript and Shell commands I have automated the creation of the Journal via a Keyboard Maestro macro.

Along with some standard Categories such as Weather (via wttr.in), Daily Quotes and News Headlines (via DEVONthink RSS feeds) I wanted to add in Today’s Events from Calendar and due tasks from Reminders.

Unfortunately the process to extract Calendar Events via Applescript is notoriously slow. Luckily by using icalBuddy via a Shell script this process is much quicker. The icalBuddy approach does not allow for a direct link to the Calendar Event but I included a link to the App for both the Mac and iOS version.

Getting Reminders Tasks can also be slow but this process can be improved if you regularly delete completed tasks. The Applescript I use creates an entry in Obsidian listing the Reminders List and Task Name with a direct link to the Task that works on both platforms.

As per usual it is a continual work in progress but if interested the Keyboard Maestro Macro that I use can be downloaded here.

1 Like

:frowning: This link is broken

Sorry about that, I cant edit the post to correct it. Use this link

Thanks for sharing the link.
I wound up making a Shortcut.
What do you think?

It looks good, I like being able to run it on the Mac and iOS. Did have me head scratching for a second as I was wondering why a song started playing :grinning:

I am getting duplicated Calendar events for some reason but it I think that may be an issue on my end.

I am converting a lot of my routines to Shortcuts where possible, I like the cross platform potential and the multiple run options that can be used.

I was having trouble determining when the shortcut was complete. I restarted shortcuts and all things returned to normal. You must have downloaded it while I was troubleshooting. Lol

Thanks for taking a look!

Hi,

I have created a shortcut that duplicates most of this process, with the advantage it is now cross-platform, check it out here.

Worked out the issue with the Duplicates. Selecting the Calendar will get all events by default. I had Birthdays listed on multiple accounts (iCloud, Google, Outlook).
I fixed it by specifying the Calenders I wanted in the output.

Due to a website change some of my links 404. Here is a link to my new site