iOS 14 public beta shortcuts trigger: on app close?

I could have sworn that in the episode discussing iOS 14, Rose and David mentioned a new automation trigger for app close, which would be very useful for me, but I’m not seeing it on my iPad. Am I delusional or is it just missing so far? (I know; both is a valid option.)

2 Likes

I don’t think it’s in the beta yet.

What does “app close” actually mean?

1. Recede into the background?
  2. Stop executing and be removed from memory?

And how does this work in Split Screen or Slide Over?

Has there been any update to this? I’d love to run a shortcut to force close all open apps.

This topic is referring to a trigger not an action.

i.e. on close of app trigger shortcut, not shortcut action to close an app.

Also force closing apps on i*OS is not a good thing, it is something you should do only if you are having issues with a particular app (e.g non responsive).

Closing apps like in this way can, for example, halt background sync processes for the app and of course result in extended delays when opening such closed apps.

1 Like

I understand it is not the most ideal situation. However, there are a couple of games I play that sometimes lock up and have to be closed and reopened.

In that case I would think that you would want to close those apps specifically, not “close all open apps”. But there is no option to close apps only to trigger on close.

I can see interfering with other apps by closing them is something that Apple’s security model would protect against.