If you had just one automation wish for iOS13

You might mean Launch Center Pro. Would be interested in Launcher if it also did this.

(I have both but use LCP now - partly because of its NFC tag capabilities.)

Launcher can display widgets of launch icons based on time and location.

LCP can build its own option menus and of course automatically prompt for an individual action based on schedule and proximity (geofence, iBeacon, NFC).

You could have a Shortcut that has a menu that is dynamically constructed based on time and location. That could then trigger other Shortcuts. Where it loses out in adding another step, it is possible that you gain in that if placed in the Shortcuts widget, it is always consistent in location and availability; so you don’t have to identify it each time, you just always select it.

You can do that simply by liking it.

It’s not exactly cheating if you think there’s something else and you are just posting about *one* thing. The point is you are only allowed to pick one; otherwise people would end up posting long almost identical lists.

Ah, yes, I should have been more specific in what I meant, I think. I know in theory I could build a shortcut to do this, but at least as far as I can work out I would have to essentially recreate the menu for each possible scenario. If I wanted to have a “work” menu which only showed some things after 8am, only showed some on my iPad, and only showed some when I was physically at work, etc etc, I would need to account for any combination of those.

It can make a list dynamically by selectively adding to a list variable, but I don’t believe there’s a way to create a menu using that list. Which makes sense with the way the UI is designed, I guess, but it would be cool to be able to specify a bunch of menu actions and then only show those that are actually reflected in the list. Or something like that.

I hope that makes a little more sense! :blush:

“Choose from list” action.

If you want to run different Shortcuts, you could use the name in the list or a dictionary of short, “menu” names, to actual names for running.

1 Like

Oooh, now there’s an idea I hadn’t thought of…

Thanks! That should work. Consider that portion of my Wishlist revoked. Off to play!

definitely cron-like capabilities for shortcuts

1 Like

You might want to take a look at the very first reply… :wink:

@adamtow I was excited to hear that Cronios “can do all of this today”.

Unfortunately, after spending at least an hour setting it up, I found that

Cronios does not seem to run in the background as the OP requested :frowning:

The reason is that Cronios uses Siri Shortcuts which stops when another app moves to the foreground or the phone is locked.

What would be really good if the Cronios Daemon was a native app with “background run” permissions.

I’m not sure what you’re looking at, but if it halts in the background and is using Scriptable, it doesn’t sound like Cronios. By my understanding, Cronios is hinged around a constant and dedicated run of Shortcuts.

Thanks - corrected it to Siri Shortcuts.

Unfortunately, the execution of Shortcuts stops on iPhone when it forced to background.

Although Scriptable also stops when forced to background :-

The Scriptable part is optional, and perhaps relatively new(?) I think and for some timeout notifications, but have you checked through the active and alive section of the docs?

All third party apps, and many first party ones, must work within the rules of iOS which includes constraints on background processing zapping the battery.

Show me your settings for Cronios. I have had it running continuously for over 11 hours (last time I did an exhaustive test). The 2.2 Shortcuts update has also made improvements to its ability to stay alive in the background.

You definitely want to make sure that the Keep Alive Beep is active. Are you experiencing an error when Cronios stops? If so, what is it? Some actions can’t run in the background and require Shortcuts be the foreground application (for instance: Get Current Location, Get Current Weather, Dictatr Text, etc.).

Ability to provide input to Shortcuts via Siri. “Ask for input” should be able to handle voice dictation when I trigger from Siri, and choose from list should be able to read off a list of options and let me choose with voice

1 Like

I would like the ability to set Siri’s response volume to a constant, predetermined level. After watching a movie earlier in the evening, I’ve lost track of the number of times I’ve awaken at 3 AM for a glass of water only to hear Siri’s voice boom throughout the house “OK, turning on kitchen lights” in response to my request. :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

Here are my wished for items:

1. “else if” or “case” statements. In current state, when you put an if block, you only have if/otherwise. But on many occasions I’ve got shortcuts which have more than just 2 scenarios to evaluate. I worked around this by using dictionaries and keys to cover the different combinations but it’s hacky and inelegant
  2. execute in background on schedule (yes, I know the security concerns so this is less important)
  3. Better launching from the home screen. Right now it opens safari then switches to the full app. I’d prefer if it behaved similar to how it does in the widget where the shortcut would run and prompt everything right there and then on the home screen
  4. More memory allocated to the widget. If I try to run a shortcut to load an Apple Music playlist and then play it, it always crashes. Runs fine within the Shortcuts app
  5. URL scheme discoverability. I’d love to be able to browse all the URL schemes from all the apps on my phone directly within the shortcuts app. Not as good as coded integration but still really useful
  6. FOLDERS!!!. I’ve got way too many shortcuts and it’s impossible to manage them all. I’ve done a colour coding scheme like Mac Sparky mentioned on one of the podcasts but it’s still not great.

So which of those 6 is your “no. 1”? Is it the first one?

Fair enough. I went on a bit of a role. If I had to have just 1, it would be #6. It’s the only one I can’t work around at the moment.

Siri Shortcuts to be able to use the scanner feature (automatic edge detection) in the iOs Notes app as a hook to build workflows. Scanbot is the closest thing to that, but it has its own automation engine.

1 Like

Last chance to make an automation wish, but just the one, for iOS13 before WWDC2019.

2 Likes