I am looking for a Windows software that can record mouse click and keyboard action

I looked at Autohotkey but then I need to write a script and I have no coding experience. I want to automate in a Windows software to open a file, go to file save as. Overwrite the file and click on yes. Close the file. Go to open the next file in the directory. I need to do this manually hundreds of time and I want to automate that. I use iPhone and iPad all the time. But this software only works on Windows and so I need a Windows solution.

Maybe take a look at Jitbit Macro recorder.

2 Likes

I can help you write a custom AHK script if you would like. I just need some more details. What you’re talking about can be accomplished in just a few lines of AHK code.

1 Like

Great. What do you need to know? It is Windows 7 32BIT if that is important. The steps are: File open. The select the the first document in the directory. Then click on the buton OPEN. Then File / Save As / Then select the button SAVE / Do you want to replace it and select the button YES. File Close. And then the next document in the directory.

Let’s move this to PMs for now and we’ll post the final script when you and I have fleshed out all the details and tests.

I have done this many times before using an Oracle tool called UPK (user productivity kit). I have used it to gather audit evidence as well as create training material for new users.

The data sheet for Oracle UPK only really talks about documentation of processes and content generation. It’s web page similarly so.

All I found one a quick read through in this was one reference that sounded something like this functionality was “Recording wizard enables any user to create and edit content in minutes”. Is there a source for more information on it’s automation functionality that you could recommend? E.g. an online user guide.

Before I switched keyboard maestro since I never used windows I used Bome midi translator pro, it’s primarily designed for music but is actually awesome as a trigger for macros since basically nothing uses midi, it can be used as a global event trigger system.

here is a video on upk, its benefits and features. You want to watch from 54 seconds on. The pages demo’d were accounting pages but it will work with any software. There are many Youtube videos on UPK if you want to see more. I like this tool better than straight video capture as I can control description boxes, mouse clicks, keyboard entry, highlighted areas and even add forks in the recording…if I do A, this will be the next screen. If I do B, this will happen. Replaying can be kind of clunky but it does the job. There is no sound recording.

I’m sorry, I missed the original intent of your question. If you are looking for a key logger, then UPK is not your thing. UPK is a training tool.

Just wanted to say that I’ve been looking for something like this for the past 3 months, joined the Automators forum yesterday, read this thread and am so, so relieved to find out about JitBit Macro Recorder. The macro recording function of Keyboard Maestro for Mac saves me so much time, and was really annoyed at not having an equivalent for Windows at work, but now I do, so thanks very much. Will save me loads of time.

Hi all, I’ve been using JitBit Macro recorder and, whilst it has been great for certain things, I have found that the F2 function (which I primarily use to rename files/folders) and the alt+tab combination (to switch application) don’t seem to work.

I am working on Windows 7 and using the JitBit trial, so wonder if that has something to do with it?

Similarly, I have found that Autohotkey, whilst mostly fine for stuff in windows, doesn’t seem to be able to push a down arrow stroke in Google Sheets (I am trying to automate copying and pasting a load of file names into a Sheets document, but not enough for me to warrent just getting a dirlist.txt file.)

Also, AutoHotKey takes alot longer than JitBit as I have to work out how to handcode the macro. So I wonder if there is a way to record the actions in JitBit and then port it into AutoHotKey?

Any advice welcome.

Here is the AutoHotKey code I have, switching from a Windows Explorer window and a Chrome tab with Google Sheets open.

^+c:: ;
Send {F2} ;
Send ^c ;
Send {Enter} ;
Send {Down} ;
Send !{Tab} ;
Send ^v ;
Send {Down} ;
Send !{Tab} ;

Try adding some pauses in. Pretty sure this is a timing issue. The following worked for me, but the speed of your PC might allow you to reduce the pauses or require you to increase them.

^+c::
Send {F2}
Send ^c
Send {Enter}
Sleep 250
Send {Down}
Send !{Tab}
Sleep 500
Send ^v
Sleep 250
Send {Down}
Sleep 250
Send !{Tab}
return

A couple of additional points for consideration.

1. This isn’t picking up the full file name. For that, you would need to have the file extension shown and then CTRL+A once you have hit F2.
  2. As somewhat of an aside, many of the available Windows Explorer alternatives allow you to directly copy the file name/path to the clipboard. They may be worth exploring. I don’t think I’ll ever go back to the explorer unless I’m forced to. I can just select the files I want, press a keyboard combo (SHIFT+CTRL+P for the app I use), and Alt+TAB and then CTRL+V. Each file name is on a separate line, so it just pastes in.
  3. Even if you don’t go with a different file manager, you could probably work a little AutoHotKey magic to identify selected files, iterate over them and then put the filenames (separated by newlines) on the clipboard so you can paste in one action. It should be much more reliable.
1 Like

If you’re bent on simulating keystrokes and not approaching from a more concrete perspective, don’t forget you can string together actions and make use of SetKeyDealy.

Example:

SetKeyDealy, 50
Send, {F2}{Down}{Enter} //;; and so on

Edit: After re-reading your post, I think you might just be better off reading all the file names into the clipboard separated by a line break. Then, all you have to do is paste into GS.

Example

Loop, Files, c:\your\file\path\*.*
	allFiles .= A_LoopFileFullPath "\n"
Clipboard := allFiles
1 Like

Have you looked at Phrase Express yet? I used it a while ago for text expansion on my Windows computer at work, but I know it has a macro recorder that might allow you to do what you described above too.

2 Likes

Thanks for all the response, you’ve given me alot of good options to try out. Really looking forward to getting much deeper into automation thanks to this forum. Will keep you posted on my continuing windows endeavours.

This does the job, thanks very much. I’ve modified it slightly to remove some of the pauses and reduce the length of some of them. After a bit of playing around this looks good:

c:: ;
Send {F2} ;
Send ^c ;
Send {Enter} ;
Send {Down} ;
Send !{Tab} ;
Send ^v ;
Sleep 75
Send {Down}
Sleep 75
Send !{Tab}
return

This works for now, but I’m definitely going to try and refine it so that I can just do it with selecting the files and not having to emulate key strokes.
Also, are their any good video tutorial or courses for mastering AutoHotKey?

AutoHotkey is the best free and open-source custom prearranging language for Microsoft Windows, at first pointed toward giving simple console easy routes or hotkeys, quick full scale creation and programming mechanization that permits clients of most degrees of PC ability to computerize monotonous errands in any Windows application. But there are some alternatives jotted down below are actually automation software that let you create shortcuts for a keyboard, a mouse or a joystick.

@MLWorrall - There are some good ones on YouTube, but if you’re having trouble check out their forms or feel free to reach out to me and I’ll be more than happy to lend a hand!