How broken is Shortcuts in your iOS 14 beta experience?

Just a temperature check: if you’re running the beta iOS 14, how’s Shortcuts treating you?

I am having the most inconsistent experience. Shortcuts seemingly-randomly fail from widgets and in-app activations. Literally they will fail on the first press, then succeed, then fail again.

(yes, I am aware of the risks of running the beta. Just curious if I’m alone in these issues.)

For those experienced beta testers: how do you decide when to bug fix a shortcut that was working fine pre-beta? I.e., how long do you hold out hope that it’ll just starting working in the next OS beta release?

Lots of shortcuts are just timing out, mostly from the widget. And it’s not like it’s choking on the shortcut computation itself — some will hang before even displaying a menu when Choose From Menu is the first action in the shortcut.

It’s pervasive enough that I’m confident a fix is being worked on, so it’s just a matter of waiting. In the meantime, running shortcuts from the app and force quitting the app if necessary is a viable workaround.

1 Like

Phew. Not alone! Not alone! These are the exact same problems I’ve been having. I’ve also been getting similar behaviour from the share sheet.

Aye, I have been opening Shortcuts and running them from there to make it work. “Continue in the Shortcuts App” actions also help. Sadly this doesn’t save Share Sheet shortcuts (say that ten times fast…)

Definitely inconsistent. To me it seems a mixture of outright bugs and things that seem not to be enabled yet. My biggest problems are related to widgets, where sometimes the shortcut widget will be unresponsive, and then it corrects itself during the day. I’m also getting “this shortcut took too long to run” messages (on very simple shortcuts!). The other area where things are just not working is personal automations; the (new) Sleep trigger as well as the Bluetooth trigger are not working at all. Can’t wait for Beta 4!

1 Like

I am as well. Running the newest beta. I have automations that speak during certain scenarios. I’ve found that if I force quit the app to clean up my open apps; the automation will run, but won’t speak. It’s annoying. The fix I’ve found is to run each one, individually, one after the other. Then leave the app open in the background. Hopefully a fix will come soon.

1 Like

Last night the database on my phone got corrupted and I had to clear shortcuts & toggle iCloud syncing before I could get them back. Not sure if I actually lost data but even after that the count on my iPhone is 1 greater than on my iPad.

Sorry this is on 14.0.1 not 14.2 beta

I HAVE MAJOR PROBLEMS RUNNING SHORTCUTS:
Description:
IPad OS Beta 14.2 Shortcuts Crash at a Choose from List Action the Problem Is Most Recurrent When Generating Simple Quick Vcard Menus.
-> Returns the Following Error Alert: Couldn’t Run “Choose from List” the Action Couldn’t Run Because the Runner Quit Unexpectedly. Problem Started Immediately upon Installation of the New Beta Release.

I filed feedback with apple. Also wondering if there are any workarounds or fixes that you may know about.

James

APPLE FEEDBACK SUBMISSION
Shortcuts Returns Errors and Abrubtly Exits at a “Choose from List” Action When Running Shortcuts *with Certain Basic Actions.
*Recent Similar Reports: None
*Resolution: Open

• IPad OS 14.2 beta (18B91). Shortcuts Application Crash
    *Icloud Link to Your shortcut? https://www.icloud.com/shortcuts/938bbccf79d04ec7ac6e87962bd0c57a
    *Description:
    IPad OS Beta 14.2 Shortcuts Crash at a Choose from List Action the Problem Is Most Recurrent When Generating Simple Quick Vcard Menus.
    -> Returns the Following Error Alert: Couldn’t Run “Choose from List” the Action Couldn’t Run Because the Runner Quit Unexpectedly. Problem Started Immediately upon Installation of the New Beta Release.