Help With Creating Shortcut to do an Emotional Diary

Someone posted this on the Drafts forum: https://forums.getdrafts.com/t/help-with-creating-siri-shortcut-to-do-emotional-diary-in-drafts-and-day-one/2834/2

I would rather avoid Launch Center Pro if Siri Shortcuts can do it. But I don’t know what’s best :blush:

What Siri can’t do is prompt you at times you want, it can prompt you when it thinks you might do something, but that might be a bit hit or miss.

1 Like

Thanks Rose. I intend to use the Due app for that. It doesn’t have to be part of Siri or Drafts or any other app :blush: I WANT to use Due for its persistence and its excellent sounds :blush:

I always forget Due can launch URL schemes, then you can just have it launch a URL to trigger the Drafts script you found :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Whoa! I didn’t know that. Definitely trying that out right now.

1 Like

Huh? How?

I can only enter titles; there’s no URL field?

This would be great though; several of my reminders “should” open LCP or a specific web page…

1 Like

It’s definitely hidden and not a UI control. See the documentation below:

1 Like

See this post for example of using the Due x-callback. Though still have a problem with the shortcut

1 Like

I already saw that, but isn’t that the other way around?

Launching Due via a URL instead of Due launching another App via a URL?

(Or did I miss something on that page?)

1 Like

So it’s “abusing” the title and no longer having a descriptive text about a task? :cry:

That’s correct. The dev docs descibe ways in which you can launch Due via x-callback. Due itself cannot launch another app (or URL) directly at time of the reminder. User action is required. For example, tapping on a link that is included in the reminder title.

1 Like

Not sure if I’m doing it right: I first have to tap the notification to open Due and then tap the title to open the URL (or an App via that URL scheme)?

1 Like

Hi everyone. So I created a Shortcut that looks like this except the text is changed:

I can see that the discussion is now about integrating Due to this. I have set up 6 different recurring Due reminders to go off at 7 am, 10 am, 1 pm, 3 pm, 6 pm and 9 pm every day reminding that I should go to Siri Shortcuts and enter how I’m feeling which will then append to the note in Drafts.

How do I link Due with this Siri Shortcut so that I can just press the Due reminder and have that take me directly to the Siri Shortcut. Is that possible?

If you run the Shortcut that’s in the other thread, it’ll walk you through the process. Just run it once for each Due reminder you want to set up. I just did it to set myself a Morning Routine reminder in Due.

My other post may have made this sound more complicated than necessary. Quite simply, you can launch a Shortcut using the following URL construct:

Shortcuts://run-shortcut?name=<insert your shortcut name here>

So, if you have a Shortcut named “Emotional Diary Entry”, the following URL when invoked from iOS will open Shortcuts and run the Emotional Diary Entry shortcut

Shortcuts://run-shortcut?name=Emotional%20Diary%20Entry

This URL can be used as the title of a Due Reminder so that when the Due reminder is triggered, you can tap on the reminder title (ie, the URL) and your shortcut is launched.

My separate thread is simply an example shortcut to automate the Due Reminder creation. It allows you to choose a Shortcut and a due date and will then create the Due Reminder with the correctly formatted title (tappable URL).

I hope this helps to clarify — jay

1 Like

Dear Jay

Thanks for all that. It would really be a great, great help to just be able to launch the shortcut from each of the six Due reminders that I have throughout the day.

But I’m not really savvy at all… can you walk me through the steps of setting it up in Due or setting it up in general?

Thanks a lot :blush: :blush:

Based on your Shortcut screenshot above (to get the name of your custom shortcut as “Emotional Diary” and what @jayelevy has described in his posts, I believe you should simply copy and paste the following into the title of each of your six Due reminders.

Shortcuts://run-shortcut?name=Emotional%20Diary

When the reminder comes up, the title should be this URL and should be actionable. When you tap and open the URL it shoudl take you into the Shortcuts app and run the “Emotional Diary” shortcut.

Okay thanks! Now I understand. So I change the title of all the 6 Due reminders to that link? Actually the title of my Siri Shortcut is “Modetjek” so I guess it should be: Shortcuts://run-shortcut?name=Modetjek

Or is that link not correct?

Yes, that URL is correct. You can test this by simply copying the URL and pasting into address field in Safari.

1 Like

So that seems to be working. I press it on the home screen and it takes me to the Due app where I can press the entry and that opens the Shortcut :blush:

1 Like