Hazel rename file to content from within the PDF file

With Hazel I can apply rules to certain PDF files if they contain the text I specify.

I use this for example for Invoices.

What I want to do is create a nice folder with all invoices in order of the month they are for.

Currently I got it to rename the file based on date created (which is diffrent from the date I downloaded it), which works 80% of the time.

But sometimes the date created doesn’t work for renaming (for example when the invoice was created in the next month, but applies to the previous month). I would end up with 2 files having the same name, and have to manually correct this.

In the content of this file there is the correct number to use… Is there any way I can rename the file to some field that can be found in the content?

1 Like

I use a similar rule to rename and file invoices when they land in my Downloads folder, and then open them for printing.

I solved that problem with a command-line utility called pdftotext (part of the open-source XpdfReader), which I call via an Applescript. Here’s the rule:

And the script, embedded in the first line of the rule:

set itemPath to quoted form of POSIX path of theFile
tell application "Finder" to set fileName to name of theFile
set clientLine to do shell script "/usr/local/bin/pdftotext -raw " & itemPath & " - | grep 'Invoice For'"
set clientName to ((characters 13 thru -1 of clientLine) as string)
set clientName to do shell script "echo " & quoted form of clientName & " | sed -e 's/ //g'"
set fileName to do shell script "echo " & quoted form of fileName & " | sed -e 's/Creative_Q/" & clientName & "/g'"
return {hazelExportTokens:{fileName}}

I don’t know if there’s an easier way to do this, or one without script dependencies, but this has worked reliably for me.

2 Likes

I use dates within the PDF and renamed the file based on the date format. David Sparks’ created a short video on how to do this. That is where I learned it.

The rule is something like Contents, contain match, select custom date, enter a name (I use Date matched), uncheck detect date automatically, find the date you want to identify and use the same format used in the file (you can also type slashes, commas, and spaces as needed), click ok.

Then on the rename make sure to select the “Date matched” that you created above and then whatever else you’d like to rename. Hope I’m clear on this and don’t confuse you. Look for that video, it is super helpful.

1 Like

This is what I do when looking for a date in the document. I often precede the date variable with text to make sure I get the date I’m looking for.

For example, I might use:

Billing date: <<statement date>>

I then use the variable in the file name and adjust the output formatting to YYYY-MM-DD per my file naming conventions when dates are used.

Note that the input and output date formats for the variable can be different. This is quite powerful.

1 Like

Here’s something I am wondering if/how Hazel can do. In my work as a trial court judge, I often create multiple scheduling orders using Word and Excel to create a mail merge document as a PDF file. I then separate the individual orders by dragging the two pages in the order to the desktop. What I’d love Hazel to do is to “read” the contents, identify the case number in the order and then rename the file to match that case number. To be specific, near the top of each page in the caption (Party A vs. Party B) there will be a case number like 1906 PL 501. The next PDF might be 1906 PL 609. As I drop the new PDF file containing only 1906 PL 501 into the Hazel-monitored folder, I’d want Hazel to rename the file to 1906 PL 501 (or whatever the case number happens to be).

Something like this could be useful for anyone who might want to rename PDF files based on say an author’s name for academic articles etc.

I’ve hunted around but can’t seem to find any examples. The AppleScript stokini uses looks like it could be a start, but I could write everything I know about AppleScript inside a matchbook cover. :smile:

Ideally I’d like to find a resource online that can show me how to do it so I learn something. Then if I run into problems I could ask questions on this site.

Many thanks in advance!

I just saw a post in another thread that mentions Hazel fetching info out of a PDF file, so it apparently can be done. I’ve asked that post author what his rule looks like. I’ll share here when I find out.

That should be possible with Hazels built in “match patterns” rule. No need for a script I think. You find more information about it here: https://www.noodlesoft.com/manual/hazel/attributes-actions/attribute-reference/using-custom-attributes/

Edit: to match “1906 PL 501” it should look something like this:

“TextToken” should then appear in the rename section.

7 Likes

This looks fantastic. Thank you!

This worked perfectly! Thank you again.

1 Like

I like this. I would like to get it to run but I get an error from the AppleScript.

2021-04-17 20:27:42.833 hazelworker[92209] [Error] AppleScript failed: Error executing AppleScript on file /Users/home/Documents/Web Receipts/mail receipts/0001-12-29 Receipt from Store.txt.
2021-04-17 20:27:42.833 hazelworker[92209] OSAScript error: {
NSLocalizedDescription = “Syntax Warning: May not be a PDF file (continuing anyway)
Syntax Error: Couldn’t read xref table
Syntax Warning: PDF file is damaged - attempting to reconstruct xref table…
Syntax Error: Couldn’t find trailer dictionary
Syntax Error: Couldn’t read xref table”;
NSLocalizedFailureReason = “Syntax Warning: May not be a PDF file (continuing anyway)
OSAScriptErrorAppAddressKey = “<NSAppleEventDescriptor: [0x0,2 “hazelworker”]>”;
OSAScriptErrorAppNameKey = “Hazel.prefPane”;
OSAScriptErrorBriefMessageKey = “Syntax Warning: May not be a PDF file (continuing anyway)
OSAScriptErrorMessageKey = “Syntax Warning: May not be a PDF file (continuing anyway)
OSAScriptErrorNumberKey = 1;
OSAScriptErrorRangeKey = “NSRange: {0, 0}”;
}
2021-04-17 20:27:44.880 hazelworker[92209] Done processing folder mail receipts
2021-04-17 20:28:36.661 hazelworker[92275] Running worker (v4.4.5) for folder with identifier: 16777224-170637378.
2021-04-17 20:28:36.663 hazelworker[92275] ###main load address: 0x104bac000
2021-04-17 20:28:36.663 hazelworker[92275] ###Noodle load address: 0x104cea000
2021-04-17 20:28:36.663 hazelworker[92275] ###CK load address: 0x104ca3000
2021-04-17 20:28:36.714 hazelworker[92275] Processing folder mail receipts
2021-04-17 20:28:38.737 hazelworker[92275] Done processing folder mail receipts

Tried a different file due to the “file is damaged” error and get the same thing. I wonder what it could be?

These first two lines say that it is working on a TXT file and it doesn’t think it is a real PDF, which looks like a pretty reasonable assertion.

Remember, the question and the solution discussed here is intentionally all about PDFs.

Stephen,
Thanks for your response. Actually it is a PDF file. It was a receipt generated from the “Save as PDF” in the print dialogue. So I thought it was strange. Perhaps I need to open and save it in Acrobat or pdfpenPRO?

Based just on that log content, the log looks to me to indicate it is working on a different file to the PDF you think it should be.

Could you share the details (screenshots/code/etc.) of what you have set-up on your Mac? Maybe there is something in your trigger or script that is targeting something other than what you want it to?

1 Like

@sylumer: Stephen your comment caused me to go back and take another look and you were correct. I was working on a list of items and could not see the text files from a script I ran earlier in the day. You nailed it. Thanks!

Thanks so much, was looking for a rule to parse a payslip and rename with the date, worked perfectly, much appreciated

One extra questions, when i run the rule, it renames exactly as i want, but changes the file type from PDF to text file - how do i avoid this?

Greetings, could someone break it down for a dummy again: I want to rename PDFs within subfolders of a folder by occurrence of a certain text within the PDFs themself. I.e. if the PDF contains “PayPal” i’d like to add PayPal to the filename. How exactly does one go about this with Hazel5 (or anything else, actually)? Thanks a lot. A

Have you read this topic on the Noodlesoft (Hazel) forum? It includes a walk through of something very much in that vein.

https://www.noodlesoft.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6844