Getting different items from a spreadsheet into Editorial

After hearing Rose talk about using a spreadsheet to auto-fill the calendar, it made me wonder if I could do something similar to help me plan the issues of a magazine I publish every other month. The ultimate goal would be for me to take a list of advertisers and auto-populate OmniFocus with the tasks for each ad (write copy, get logo, get client approval, etc.).

Anyway, each issue has a spreadsheet that includes the names of all the advertisers in an issue. For every ad, I have to go through the same multi-step process, from writing ad copy, getting a logo, designing the graphic file, to getting approval. I’d love to be able to pull the advertiser name in each cell and create a series of tasks in OmniFocus for that ad.

(I already do something similar in Editorial for my repeating editorial features, thanks to David’s video walk-through of the process. I start with the magazine due date and work backwards to make sure the tasks are spaced out.)

So basically, I think if I can get some help pulling the cell values from a spreadsheet (I use Google sheets but I would gladly switch to Numbers for this), I think I can get that into a similar script to create ad-related tasks. No idea if this will make sense, but that’s what I’m looking for!

I think the simplest solution might just be to copy the column with the names in, and then run this Workflow:

https://workflow.is/workflows/2eb137d238344692b45e76226d8098dd

It will add the three tasks you mentioned as an action group for each advertiser. You can of course add more tasks, edit them, and so on, but it’s pretty simple!

1 Like

Thank you so much! I’m going to put this to good use!