If there a way to just get the text from a web page? I can get the html from a web page but need just the text.
Some possible solutions I can think of:
- Load jQuery into the website (preferably with a data URL, so it isn’t dependend on your internet speed), and when loaded, run
$("body").text();in the website. This returns the whole text.
- Download node.js on your computer
- install browserify and cheerio via npm
browserify -r cheerio
- copy the output file to your iCloud Drive into the Scriptable folder (or any subfolder)
- in your Scriptable script import the file from above like
const cheerio = importModule("lib/cheerio")("cheerio");(assumed, you’ve placed the file at
lib/cheerio.js). Why the second call? Because the file from browserify returns a function to load different modules and we want to load cheerio
- Load the HTML from your page in question
- Load the HTML into cheerio with
let $ = cheerio.load(html);, where
htmlcontains the HTML
- Get the text with
There might be some errors, I haven’t tested any of this
This could be improved, but If you want to use shortcuts, this might get you started.
From safari, share webpage to shortcut.
Yes that works…sometimes. It’s a website that has frames. So sometimes I get the body and sometimes I don’t. But then I just put in an if statement that says if body has no value run the shortcut again. Not pretty but hey it works. Thanks!