Estimote + PushCuts question

Hi all,

Just got a set of Estimote beacons and believe I have them all configured. The problem is it seems that my phone doesn’t respond to being near my iBeacon consistently unless I open the Estimote app and tap on the Beacon Details section (then PushCut triggers a notification).

Has this happened to anyone? Any suggestions?

Teddy

• Can you share any screenshots of what you have configured for the settings of the iBeacon and the configuration in PushCut?
  • Do you have the location services set as “Always” for PushCut?

Thanks @sylumer! Images below, from both the Estimote app and Pushcut. Happy to share any additional info that would be helpful.

They look okay at first glance.

But by location services settings for PushCut I didn’t mean the location settings in the app, but the OS level settings like this:

Yep! I’ve got it set to Always as well (apologies for not including that too).

It does seem like adding a background web task is causing some of the problem, because I’ll sometimes get a notification that a background action failed to run when leaving my iBeacon.

Okay, so what if you try triggering something else to validate if that is the case? Maybe just fire a shortcut to open a particular app for example.

Also, maybe try increasing the transmit power a little. Maybe it’s currently so low as to be suffering too much from interference and attenuation from things around and close by. A bit of a boost could make it more reliable if that were the case, or you could try it in a open space.

Try the things in each paragraph above independently so as to narrow it down should one prove to change the behaviour consistently.

two thoughts from my side:

I know that iOS gets a bit sceptical if it sees beacons turn on and off right next to it (for testing/initial setup). my experience was that after too much “unreliability” iOS will ignore the beacon completely for a while. maybe you were in a phase like this? when I messed around too much with beacon signals, restarting the iOS device made everything work again…

about the error: is it possible that you do not have a good internet connection when the beacon event occurs? does the “background action failed” notification give you an error description in this direction?

Thanks to you both. I will try each suggestion when getting to work tomorrow. I have a suspicion that there’s some kind of WiFi dead spot when I leave my office which would explain why the trigger fails when leaving but not when entering.

I really like using a background action (as opposed to notification) because it can pull a currently running timer from Toggl and present info about it in the notification that it ultimately triggers. Still, if it’s more reliable to stick to notifications (at least as I get this figured out) I’ll do that.

Thanks again,
Teddy