Drafts to Day One?

I’ve been keeping my journal entries in Drafts because that’s where I write everything and I like that it tracks the location where I started it. It’s not really optimal because it doesn’t do photos, so for those I just include links to photos in the Drafts entry. Recently I found out that I have a “Plus” account on Day One and so I’m trying to take advantage of it.

So now I’m trying to export entries from Drafts into Day One but I’m having trouble with automatically adding the location information. Has anyone done this migration before and have any suggestions? There seems to be two Dag One shortcut actions, one of them has the advance controls for adding location among other things but there doesn’t seem to be a way to automate this field because tapping on it brings up the location search window. Am
I doing something wrong here?

I don’t think you’re doing anything wrong. There’s nothing for location listed in the Day One web site’s URL scheme, and other than current location, the shortcuts option doesn’t list anything else - specifically no option for magic variable selection like there is on some of the other parameters on the creation action.

The control is with Day One. They have a contact us link, but is just an FAQ listing, so perhaps reach out to them via their Twitter account or Facebook page and request the option to pass in a dynamic location to the Shortcuts action.

Then you could get the location data from the Drafts draft, populate a Shortcuts location, and pass that in; which I guess is what you had originally envisaged.

DayOne is very limited in terms of what they let you do. The best I’ve been able to figure out is to enter some of the metadata you want to preserve (like the creation date) in the body of the note. I also wish that they had proper x-callback-url schemes so you could stay in Drafts without always being switched to DayOne. I’ve written then several times but not gotten much help or encouragement on this.