Door open alert

Automation newbie here. We’re an Apple house so going all in with HomeKit. Recently purchased 2 Eve door and window sensors for what I thought would be a simple use case:

• if both my wife and I leave home (ie when last one leaves) send notification if either front or back door sensor shows as open.

This is after a couple of incidents of us leaving a door open when we have gone out. Thankfully no incidents yet!

I assumed the Eve sensor could do this but apparently will only notify if opened whilst away, which I’d good but I need the other notification.

Any thoughts on how to achieve this?

Cheers!

1 Like

First: welcome to the forum :beers:

Now, while I don’t have Eve sensors, I think you could solve this in the following way:

• Create a new Shortcut.
  • Add a “Get state for …” action from the “Home” category.
  • Add some logic to interpret the state.
  • Send some kind of notification if needed.
  • Save the Shortcut.
  • Add an HomeKit automation in the Home app for when “The last person leaves home”.
  • Have the automation trigger the shortcut you created.
1 Like

Up until this point, I think you’re on the right path! Sadly, you can’t run a Shortcut through the Home automation.

I would create a home automation for “last person leaves”, check if the front door is open, and then send a notification (you’ll need to use something like Pushcut to do this through “get contents of URL”), then check if the back door is open and send a notification.

Thanks both, got me thinking on the right path, ended up having to do this …

Create rule in Eve app - trigger last person leave home, condition door open, scene turn on hall lamp (need a scene, so just turn on the lamp near the door)

In home app edit the automation to exclude my son’s iPad from the leave home group and then use Pushcut to send the notification

Back door working fine, front door not, but that seems to be the Eve sensor being too far away to pick up the bluetooth sensor - doh!

1 Like

Hi, I’m a newbie too in automators and I’ve tried to do same steps as you said in your final post. My automation in homekit seems good but how did you get the notification with the pushcut app when activated ? Thanks

You need to use the Get contents of URL action. We have a guide on using it and a related one specifically focused around notifications for when doors/windows are left open.

Many thanks for you help. I succeed to get the notification with the “convert as shortcut” tip in my automation to call the pushcut notification.

I was however force to use Controller App to customize my HomeKit automation with multiple conditions (when and I leave home and If the Eve kitchen window captor is open). You confirm that pushcut can’t do that ?

Thanks.

Great to hear you got that working!

Customising HomeKit automations isn’t currently a capability or focus of Pushcut (Controller for HomeKit is the right app for that job), but I’m not ruling out adding that functionality in the future.