Do something on wake with Automator?

I’m enjoying Dark Mode in Mojave, but in the mornings I need Light Mode to keep me alert. I’ve set up a Touch Bar shortcut to toggle between light and dark mode, and a calendar-activated automation to switch to Dark Mode around 4pm.

But I don’t want to fiddle with a button every morning. I would like my laptop to just be in Light Mode when I open it in the morning – so, when I open my laptop, if it’s between 05:00 and 16:00, I want it to set Dark Mode to false. Is there a way to trigger an action on wake?

(Loving this forum, btw!)

Keyboard Maestro can trigger on wake.

https://wiki.keyboardmaestro.com/trigger/Wake

1 Like

Ah, ok. I’ve been a little overwhelmed by all the automation apps that are out there, but this made me take a deeper look at Keyboard Maestro and yeah, looks like it will be worthwhile for this and some other things. Thanks!

I find KM to be the simplest way to run automations on a schedule or with system events — much easier than fiddling with the system’s under-the-good scheduling tools directly.

1 Like

I haven’t looked into it in-depth, but would it be possible to use Calendar event activated Automator workflows containing IF statements and variables?:thinking:

Not really that I can see. Because I want it to happen when I open the laptop, and that doesn’t happen on a schedule.

But I have it working in KM now. It’s was really easy, just an on wake trigger, and an if statement to see if the current time is between the hours of 05:00 and 16:00, and if so it runs an automator workflow with the single command to turn Dark Mode off.

1 Like