Since working with Shortcuts, I’ve had a quandary over what to do if people have multiple phone numbers or multiple email addresses in my Contacts database.
For example, I was trying to make a shortcut today to send a group text reminding people of a meeting, but for some of the people I have a work number in addition to a mobile number, and at least one still has a home landline.
Previously I have made a shortcut that fetches people’s email addresses, but some people have more than one email. Some might be a “work” email vs a “personal” email.
Shortcuts does not (yet?) let you specify that you want “home” email addresses or “mobile” phone numbers, and I’m not sure it will any time soon.
My strategy for dealing with this before has always been to move the email or phone down to the “notes” section of the contact, but that was unsatisfying. For one thing, it’s no longer ‘clickable’ if I do want to contact them at that phone number or email address.
The solution seems obvious now.
Instead of using the usual fields for phone numbers or email addresses, I’ve moved them to
Email addresses just go after
Phone numbers go after
You can change the label on the URL to say if it is “home” or “work” (or customize it), so when you are looking at the contact information, it’s easy to tell “Oh that must be her work number” or “That must be his work email.”
I left the primary email and primary phone numbers in the usual fields, and moved the secondary/backup Information to URLs.
You can still click/tap them and they will do what you’d want, but when you use “Get Details of Contact” you will get the “primary” information instead.
One Weird Thing…
When I copied the phone numbers into a
tel:// URL on my Mac, the Contacts.app showed just the phone number, but on my iOS devices, there was some extra “cruft” around the number (looked like percent-encoding). Editing the contact info on the iOS devices got rid of the cruft, but I’m not sure what caused it to be there in the first place. I even tried pasting the number into a plain-text document and then copy/pasting from there to Contacts, and it still happened. So, just something to be aware of.