Backup shortcuts? (iOS 14)

Lately I have been creating some more complex shortcuts that I would like to back up.

I have seen some older posts with techniques, but I’m not sure they are current.

What’s the “best” way to backup shortcuts on iOS 14?

1 Like

I still use BART.

2 Likes

Is this still the best one to use for shortcut backup? I downloaded it and I can’t get ‘Snapshot’ or ‘Archive all’ to work, just fails. I can backup 1 shortcut. At the end of the process it wants to send a dictionary item to routine hub IP address.

Here is the reason why I’m interested: I recently used a shortcut on my iPhone since I had forgotten my iPad at home. When I opened it, it had the conflict pallet saying to pick 1 of 2 shortcuts. I picked what it said was the newest version. It was not correct, that ‘newest version’ was said to be on the iPhone, where the version with all my updates was an iPad version turns out. So it rolled back this shortcut to a prior version. While it will probably take less than an hour to update, it is a good reminder to try and find a way to backup key shortcuts.

I contacted Apple Support in hopes that Apple would eventually introduce some type of fix, iCloud version history, trash bin etc. Only idea support had was restoring the whole device to a backup in hopes that the Shortcut lives there. They also said to submit feedback which I did. Feedback I’m sure is helpful, but it costs them money to provide support so I think that is feedback too, them having to entertain my questions on it. :slight_smile:

Thanks!

What about sharing the shortcut(s) and saving the icloud link(s) somewhere?

I can say I still use it, but I don’t necessarily know all the other options to assert it as being the “best” option - and “best” may also vary by an individual’s particular needs.

For example this tool is typically interactive with multiple options. Another shortcut could be better suited to auto snapshot all each night and so be “best” for a user even though it may have fewer features.

Can you describe the nature of the failure in more detail, and is it only when you are snapshotting and archiving all, or if you are doing subsets of Shortcuts too?

Are you sure it is sending a dictionary and not just storing data locally and running a version check against RoutineHub?

I would expect the primary reasons would be around automate and scale of the data. If you are rigorous and say share to a version control system on modification/frequently then that could be fine - but tedious. jJust saving external URLs has limitations such as no offline access, and if you do happen to store private data like an API key in a shortcut, that then technically gets uploaded to Apple with a publicly accessible link.