Automators 9: Scriptable with Simon Støvring

4 Likes

Awesome! Can’t wait to listen!

1 Like

Couldn’t resist the temptation to tip @simonbs after listening to the show (though I don’t use the app). Not only got curious to see what would happen, but also to support Scriptable. Learning javascript is on my “someday” to-do list, and scriptable will be key to achieve that :+1:

3 Likes

Same here. I finally downloaded the app and left a tip because this is the sort of thing I want to see exist, and I want to support its continued life.

Now I just have to learn JavaScript…

2 Likes

Do you know any programming language or workflow/shortcuts?

I can write shelk scripts and I’ve started using Shortcuts.

This was a great episode for me to get excited about some more beyond Shortcuts. Would Scriptable be able to do this thing I can’t believe the Apple Watch doesn’t do? I charge my Apple Watch and it’s still connected by Bluetooth to my phone. I want a notification on my phone when my Watch battery has reached 100% charge. Does anyone think it could be done?

1 Like

I don’t believe so. You would need a push notification from the watch, or a long running background process to poll for the battery level and then trigger a notification.

that should be a good foundation. one problem with many javascript tutorials is that they are written for web developers.
we will see if @MacSparky or @RosemaryOrchard will do some thing about it. As a software developer I could think up something by myself. maybe in a thread of this forum — we will see

1 Like

I guess you could do it with IFTTT, but certainly not with Scriptable. You would need to run a script every time you want to check the battery.

I really liked that episode and also started to write my first script with Scriptable.
But there is one thing I haven’t figured out how to do it with Scriptable: Notifications.

Is there a way to do that in Scriptable?

Scripts could be triggered by hand or by voice (siri) you can use message boxes or let siri talk to you. notifications as I understand it would be triggered by a background task. I would say that is not even possible at the moment. @simonbs did I get it right?

@nheer what was the task you want to solve?

There’s not currently a way to schedule notifications with Scriptable. I’ve been thinking about it a lot and haven’t figured out how to approach it yet. Maybe it’s because I haven’t figured out the perfect use case yet.

Here’s some of my thoughts so far:

• An API for scheduling a notification for a date, possibly making it repeating
  • An API to fetch all schedules notifications
  • An API for cancelling a specific notifications
  • Tapping on a notification may open a URL, eg. a URL scheme. This would enable running a script.
  • Maybe look into running a script when a notification is pressed - possibly presenting UI, just like the Siri integration.

Those are only notes for now. I’m still considering how to approach notifications.

2 Likes

:clap::clap:

Yes. Love it all, man! Keep it coming!

Really great show. I’ve been trying to learn code for years but always seem to stumble until Shortcuts came out. Now I want to give JavaScript a shot. The app really makes it look almost doable. By the way I was looking at the Comic Siri script and wondered if I could do the same thing just using Shortcuts. I kind of came close. Not bad considering I’m not sure what half the actions did.

https://www.icloud.com/shortcuts/a7b88b22197e45ebacaff6480bd1fdd1

2 Likes

@felix42sol
I made a little Siri shortcut to help me brew tea in gongfu style.
Basically I start times and show recipes for brewing the tea.

I wanted to show a notification when the timer has started so that I know when I can begin brewing, but I solved it with Siri shortcuts itself.

Here is a short video about it: https://dsc.cloud/nheer/ScreenRecording_11-21-2018-22-37-50.MP4.00.mp4

1 Like

The interesting thing that I noticed recently is that when the watch gets to 100% charge, it actually dings and the screen lights up. I wonder if that notification can be intercepted and become a phone notification