Automators 15: Automated Time Tracking

Aaand this is why it’s great to ask! I currently have all my personal timers under just one single “personal” project because it didn’t even occur to me to separate them.

Yeah, your way makes perfect sense. I’d probably do a Media Consumption project like you suggested and tags for #tv and #movie and of course #podcast, with series names for timers.

1 Like

You can of course prefix all your projects with either Work or Personal, or you could use emoji :wink:.

Hi, I’ve been playing with this automation shenanigans via shortcuts and created automation to start a Timery timer whenever I open an application… In this case voicedream. Or Pocket.

I’ve also done the same for whenever I am listening to a podcast which triggers whenever I open the Overcast.

The shortcuts work great for starting the timers, the problem is they don’t stop by themselves.

I’m wondering if anybody has any advice on a trigger to stop them automatically, or will I have to remember to do it manually? 

If you always switch between apps I guess you could initialise with a stop timer and then trigger the start timer. But I understand that’s not ideal.

I think fundamentally the issue is while you open an app, it still runs.

Out of interest…

Q) does the open app actually trigger if you swipe or task switch to an app rather than open from the home page/dock?

Q) if you are in split view or swipe over with multiple apps that trigger, does that work too?

Yes – the App is triggered when you task switch… but I do not use it on the iPad and therefore split view considerations haven’t been in issue for now.

Does anybody know if it is possible to start and stop a saved toggl timer with one NFC tag? So example I want to log how much practice I am doing on drums. I want to use an NFC tag to start the timer, and then when I’m done practicing, use the same NFC tag to trigger it stopping?

Any ideas?

with Pushcut you can use the “Show Notification” action to schedule a smart reminder.

As action, you can use a shortcut or timery URL to stop the actual timer.

If you use the Reminder Identifier field, you can cancel or override this smart reminder - this way you will only get the “latest valid” reminder.