Automating Slack with AppleScript

Hi everyone!

I’ve created an AppleScript library for automating Slack along with a language dictionary to make things readable. Details on how to install and use it can be found here https://github.com/samknight/slack_applescript

Please let me know if there’s any improvements that could be made or if you end up using it for anything helpful.

I typically use it with alfred to trigger the scripts for setting my status at lunch and creating a standup call every morning with my remote team. I have used keyboard maestro to trigger the scripts at a certain time as well. There are however downsides to automatically turning on your microphone in a channel without you triggering it! So be warned.

6 Likes

If I wasn’t about to be moving part of the team projects I’m working on from Slack to twist, this would definitely be useful! However, like with some other posts that I found while Peru’s in this amazing resource, I’ll keep it in the back of my mind for Slack teams then I’m sure I’ll be joining in the near future.

Keep up the awesome work, and love seeing all of the creativity people have in this form.

Best

Michael

@Payown

Host of the Your Own Pay Podcast.

Hi, i tried your scripts and the’re amazing very useful for me. I was wondering if I could enhance it to also read the messages from a channel. can it even be done ?

Hi, so pleased you’re finding it useful. Of course you can enhance it. If you have GitHub you can add a pull request.

I’m happy to investigate and do the work needed if you like but I’m not quite sure what the full requirement is. When you say read the messages do you mean output as text or mark as read?

I meant for the messages that are in the channel (other members messages). I was able to find the Slack API to read the messages, but it does not read messages that are marked “only visible to you”. i was hoping that using the automator i will be able to read such messages.

Very timely. As a company - over 300,000 of us - we’re moving to Slack (from Sametime) at year end. I could use a few scripts like these.