Automating Itunes to messages

I thought I would post her instead of MPU. Love both shows:)

My teenage daughter(17) started a trend of Song of the Day(SOD). Each day we text each other(messages) a song from iTunes. She manages our playlist and add the song to our playlist(SOD2018). Yes it is a very ecliptic playlist but good for father/daughter bonding. We started this a few years ago when she was diagnosed with Narcolepsy.

I am looking to be able to do this from MACOS or IOS. I have hazel, keyboard maestro, IFTTT, etc. I can also create an apple script but I am a novice.

The workflow would look like this:

Current song playing in music or iTunes
Copy song to messages.
Fill in sender info
Hit send

I would appreciate any help possible. Evan a link to one that I can modify.

Dave

1 Like

I used to have a similar shared playlist workflow with my kids a couple of years ago. From their phones, the kids would use the share sheet to add songs to a shared Reminders list and I had a Workflow that iterated through the list and added songs to a shared playlist. Sadly, Apple removed the Reminders app from the share sheet. Now the kids just message me the song (share sheet) and I click on it to open it in Apple Music and then use the manual “Add to a playlist” feature to add it to the shared playlist.

But, here’s a simple iOS Workflow that gets the current song and sends a link.
https://workflow.is/workflows/b4d17e2eca7544859e21bad231bc45d1

There might be “get current song” features in Automator on the Mac, but I haven’t used it with iTunes.

1 Like

Here’s a Workflow workflow that will do this for you:

https://workflow.is/workflows/0c09b559d183437187efa1e2c2d846b6

I recommend adding your daughter into the message action, then you can run the workflow from the today widget and either add to the message or just hit send in messages!

I wrote this a few hours ago, it looks like the wifi on the train failed to post it earlier though so @alangardner beat me to it :smiley:

1 Like

@allan.galbraith @RosemaryOrchard you both are so awesome. I am playing with them both. I will show my daughter how to use them also. She wants to be an engineer and will probably enjoy learning this.

I will make sure I give back to the community. I am pretty good at excel which has great opportunities for automation. I know excel but you would not believe how many large companies rely on it.

Thanks for the help​:clap::clap::clap:

2 Likes