Auto export video and audio files with Camtasia for Mac 2020

Hello.

I’m using Camtasia for Mac 20202.0.15 (114190) on an Intel-based MBP 16 circa 2020 with max specs, running 10.15.7 and an eGPU.

Can’t use ScreenFlow since they don’t “officially” support eGPUs. My personal experience is that SF crashes or won’t start when one is connected.

So Camtasia it is.

It’s used to create record screens and export video and audio files to the local desktop. I create anywhere from 5 to 15 during any given week.

Currently, I spend 3 to 5 hours a week manually creating these files and uploading them to a server that provides a private RSS feed that can be consumed by any number of standards-compliant podcast apps available on any modern-day platform and device.

I do not edit the screencasts.

I’m wondering if there is a way to automate the export of a video (MP4) and audio file (M4A) after the recording has been sucessfully saved to the local disk.

My thought was to use a scripting language (AppleScript) but it doesn’t appear to be supported in Camtasia.

Other options I’ve thought of include Automator or Keyboard Maestro to record the mouse clicks or keyboard shortcuts and then assign a hotkey to execute the necessary steps.

Before I dive in, I was wondering if the other smart folks here on the forum might have other ideas.

The end to end workflow would be something like this:

1 - Record Desktop with appropriate audio & screen settings (Shift+CMD+2)
2 - Stop Recording (Shift +CMD+2)
3 - Save recording (Shift+CMD+S)
4 - Enter file name
5 - Press Enter to Save to desired location (aka ~/Desktop)
6 - Upon successful save, export video (.mp4) to ~/Desktop
7 - When video export is complete, export audio (.m4a) to ~/Desktop
8 - When complete, save Camtasia Project (CMD+S)
9 - Close file (CMD+W)

Automation complete.

After the conversions are complete, I will use Hazel or AppleScript to monitor for these specific file types to perform move/copy/upload, etc.

Hopefully, I’ve done a good job of explaining this. If not, please let me know and I can provide even more detail.

Thank you in advance for sharing your thoughts and suggestions.

:v:t2:, :heart: & :hugs:,

//Shawn