Apple TV automation

Is there a way to have a personal automation trigger after a smart home device is controlled. What I’m looking to do is launch channels app every time I run the activity on my harmony hub for live tv. Can’t seem to figure it out through normal means but was think maybe through other means.

If you have a Mac, there is a way to run a Shortcut on the Mac when a Homekit device is triggered. You would have to use the Signals for Homekit app for that, however. I don’t know if it will do what you are wanting but it’s an app worth exploring.

1 Like

I’m looking at signal and seems more of a tool for lights specifically, gives me other ideas I’d like to incorporate for sure. I may need to look into home assistant more, just avoiding another thing to manage.

Signals was definitely built for flashing lights and that kind of thing but at some point the developer actually added the ability to use a HomeKit device to trigger a shortcut on the Mac.

If you’re looking to launch apps on the AppleTV, I’ve been able to do that via Home Assistant. I created a script that run my “Watch Apple TV” Harmony Hub activity, then opens the Spotify app on the TV.

YAML version looks like:

alias: Apple TV Spotify
sequence:
  - type: turn_on
    device_id: 0134c5c68ded4bee90c40ec10b11d10c
    entity_id: switch.harmonyhub_watch_apple_tv
    domain: switch
  # Tell AppleTV to open Spotify app
  - service: media_player.select_source
    data:
      source: Spotify
    target:
      device_id: 377001912fd3f4d2e0b8a9b194f8b1b9

Nice I really need to spin up a home assistant instance on some hardware. I keep seeing some really neat stuff in the posts on this forum.