Append text selection to clipboard: Alfred's double tap ⌘ + C in conflict with PopClip. Any solution?

Hey,

I am using Alfred’s double-tap ⌘ + C feature to append the selected text to the clipboard for a long time. I’ve rediscovered PopClip a few months ago and find it also very useful and would love to continue using both.

The only problem is that PopClip (if I got that correctly) apparently uses “clipboard-less copying” of the selection to get the content and will be in conflict with Alfred’s double-tap ⌘ + C. That error is documented on https://docs.pilotmoon.com/article/15-popclip-known-issues as a known issue. It results in a lot of phantom clipboard-appends. It is enough to just quickly press ⌘ + C while you just selected text. (It seems to me as if PopClip is actually simulating the keystroke. Otherwise, I can’t comprehend why Alfred’s append feature would be triggered.)

My current workaround is a keyboard maestro script that merges %PastClipboard%1% and %ClipBoard% upon pressing ⌘⌥⇧⌃ + C (or hyper-key + C).

But honestly, that is way less convenient than the double-tap of ⌘ + C. Especially when appending more than 2 text selections.

Steps for this to work:

1. Make first text selection
  2. Press ⌘ + C
  3. Make second text selection
  4. Press ⌘ + C
  5. Press ⌘⌥⇧⌃ + C to merge
  6. Make third text selection
  7. Press ⌘ + C
  8. Press ⌘⌥⇧⌃ + C to merge

The double-tap was just convenient in comparison.

Does anyone have an idea how to make this work?
I’m using Alfred, PopClip, KeyboardMaestro and BetterTouchTool (+ AppleScript/Automator, of course).

And has anyone an idea how to make this work with text and simultaneously files and folders?

Thanks a lot :slight_smile:

I wish i did. I always turn off pop clip when i need to append text.

Help me obiwan you’re my only hope!

I have given up, since the issue seems to be unresolvable, if you use Alfred and PopClip.
PopClip – from my understanding – stores the selection in a temporary clipboard immediately after making the selection. This clipboard is in conflict with Alfred’s merging.

There is a Workflow “Clipmerge”: https://github.com/luckman212/clipmerge-alfred-workflow

It’s a little less convenient and you manually have to keep track of the number of clips to merge, but it works :ok_hand:

1 Like