Also stuck on my first automation

Not doing too well getting started with Shortcuts here, not only can’t figure out how to do my first shortcut, my first automation doesn’t behave as I expect and I can’t figure out why.

What I want is an automation that turn Mobile Data “Off” when I get home (together with its equivalent to turn in “On” when I leave). The problem is that iOS is prone to dropping my perfectly good wifi at home and connecting via 4G, using my data allowance unnecessarily.

My automation has two steps:

1. “When”: When I arrive at [location of my home]
  2. “Do”: Set Mobile Data – Turn Mobile Data “Off”

But it doesn’t work! When I arrive at location, instead of running, it creates a Siri notification which gives me the option of running it manually. This makes no sense to me – can anyone tell me what I’m doing wrong?

That’s as expected. Check out the MacStories list of confirmation-less triggers.

Thanks for your help, appreciated.

It’s disappointing that Apple has chosen make it work that way, though – not really what I would call an automation if you have to manually confirm …

1 Like

That’s been commented on a lot by many since automations appeared.

Personally I think it’s the Tesla “auto pilot” situation. Tesla’s driver assist should not have used that name as it didn’t accurately describe the function and features.

The automation to me is the stuff that is done. The stuff that caused the automation to happen is a trigger. Some triggers are manual. Some triggers are from a monitored change in state which could themselves perhaps be described as automated, but it is the understanding that a trigger does not have to be automated that is the key point of this.

Why Apple called the trigger for an automation the ‘automation’ is something I’ll never understand . I think it has driven a large part of people’s expectations, and as a result has led to a lot of misunderstanding.

The crux that then comes to, is that Apple chose to make some state triggers (non-manual) to also require a manual confirmation, which is the real bit that everyone has been critical of. Apple I believe have cited security measures as the reason for it, but users have pushed consistently for an override option. Perhaps we’ll see something in the next major release?

In the interim, anyone desperate to have full automation can investigate Pushcut’s automation server option (requires a second device to act as the server).