85: iOS 15 Update & Shortcuts on macOS

1 Like

OMG, as that ham radio antenna story. Iā€™m a ham radio operator and that story made me jump in my seat.

1 Like

Echo the frustrations with focus modes. I would really like to use this feature but I frequently get calls from the hospital that are no caller ID that I would like to break through focus modes. I also frequently have to call patients relatives at odd times and worry that my call wonā€™t break through ā€˜Do not disturbā€™ to tell them that their relative is very unwell.

1 Like

I know nothing about radio (at least as far as Iā€™m concerned), but frankly the idea of sticking a large piece of metal to the side of a house without checking if you needed to do something else would just never occur to me! I was at university when it was installed so assumed it had been done ā€œproperlyā€. The mast mysteriously disappeared after the incident though! But I hear the neighbour has since got into model trainsā€¦

3 Likes

Oh youā€™re absolutely right! Itā€™s on the owner to be sure itā€™s installed correctly. A large amateur radio antenna is little more than a lightning rod if not installed correctly. Thankfully nothing much worse happened.

And thanks for the heads-up on the Aqara products. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

Congratulation @RosemaryOrchard to your new tv. I have also on with Ambilight and its great with playing games. :star_struck:

1 Like

With your new iPhone 13 - did you try the Auto Perspective Correct from ProCamera, if you have this app? Works fine on my iPhone X, but does it also work the ultra wide lenses on the 13 Pro? @MacSparky

I am not sure if it was on this podcast, but I remember @RosemaryOrchard saying that she uses Data Jar to keep track the state of Focus Mode, since there is no shortcut action that returns that value. I have been trying to set this up, but I am having trouble with understanding how Data Jar actions work. Could you post your shortcut or can somebody post how they manage something similar? Thanks.

If you create a shortcut to set a focus mode, rather than using the inbuilt UI options to change focus mode, you can use that shortcut to also set the Data Jar variableā€™s value.

1 Like

I have an automation for ā€œX focus mode startsā€ and that just sets the focus mode ā€œvariableā€ in Data Jar, itā€™s not perfect, but itā€™s pretty good!

1 Like

I figured it out. Thanks! I new how to do it, but I couldnā€™t get the data jar action to work. I was making a silly mistake.

I finally got around to listening to this episode again and it was quite timely as weā€™re entering ā€œpower outage as a way of lifeā€ here in Kansas, USA. @RosemaryOrchard can you expound on your setup for how you are getting notified when (1) power is lost and (2) power is restored? Iā€™ve listened through several times and canā€™t quite make out the setup youā€™re using. Still love every episode of the podcast!!

Make it a great day!

Jeff