74: Stream Deck: Going Large

Early last year, before Toolbox Pro allowed me the full icon generation access I ended up tapping into, I did put together a pretty popular post on various places you could get Streamdeck icon sets from.

Here’s the link if you happen to want even more icons to choose from.

2 Likes

Hey Rose,
I did my take on sorting the files and created a PR for it.
Feel free to take a look and decide if you think that’s a good way of sorting the icons :smiley:

2 Likes

This repo alone may be what pushes me over to get Working Copy for my iPhone and iPad.

1 Like

I know automators is very apple centric, but from a Windows user perspective, is a Streamdeck as useful as we have no keyboard maestro.

1 Like

Absolutely. I work on a PC during the working day and switch over to my Mac for personal stuff at other times. I use the same Stream Deck with both operating systems. It is mainly a trigger, and so in terms of the actual automation that something like Keyboard Maestro provides, then it is a case of using a Windows tool instead.

As well as the inbuilt opening URLs, etc. I also use my Stream Deck to do things like trigger AutoHotkey scripts and even trigger XYplorer (an automatable file manager) script via a command line call. There’s pretty much always a way to trigger a good tool from the Stream Deck.

I would also note that there are quite a few automation plugins that are Windows only, I’d highly recommend several automation related plugins by the ever popular BarRaider’s - Advanced Launcher, Super Macro, WinTools and Windo Mover & Resizer. You’ll find that these may well do a lot of the things you might write automations for outside of the Stream Deck, but are perhaps easier with these tools.

Hope that helps.

1 Like

Hey Rose - thanks for the shoutout regarding the HomeControl app on this episode. I’m famous! Also thanks to Jerry, who first posted about the app in another thread on the forums.

Streamdeck showing my ZOOM mute/unmute status, regardless of active app:
There are a number of meetings where I am listening along in a zoom, but the zoom window itself is covered as I’m actually multitasking in another program* to stay productive. That usually means I can’t see the Mute icon in the bottom left corner of the Zoom meeting. Most zoom commands on the streamdeck are only helpful if the Zoom app is active, not another app (like Outlook).

Last year, I created a keyboard maestro macro that is enabled if zoom is running, whether it is the active application or not. It uses AppleScript to check to see if I am muted on Zoom every 30 seconds. (It checks the Meeting Menu for the existence of the “Unmute Audio” option. If that exists, I know I am muted).

It updates the top left button on my streamdeck with a MUTED icon. if not, it replaces it with an UNMUTED icon.

This way, I can always check my mute status, just by looking down at my Streamdeck, regardless of what I’m really doing during the Zoom meeting.

The button, if pressed, will activate zoom and toggle mute/unmute. Very helpful for “staying productive”, haha! If anyone interested, here’s the link to the KM Macro:

*If someone I work with reads this, I disavow any knowledge of this post

6 Likes

Note that while this is true, you can set a global mute/unmute keyboard shortcut in Zoom’s preferences/settings:

Click on the shortcut field (#4) to change the assigned keyboard shortcut. The checkbox (#5) tells Zoom whether or not to make it “global”.

Love this idea! Question: Is it able to do this without bringing Zoom to the front? Otherwise I would think that would be distracting. If so, I’d be interested to how you’re doing it.

Another Option: I use ‎Shush for this. I’ve also used ‎Mic Drop. Both of them will mute your mic unless you are holding down a keyboard combination (“Push To Talk”). On Zoom you will appear unmuted, but your mic is off.

(Of course, I use a Stream Deck button for that keyboard combo, so when I am pushing the button, I am unmuted. otherwise I am muted.)

Mic Drop can even display something on the screen which tells you if you are muted or not, which is easier to see than the menu bar icon. I don’t use that feature a lot, but I do if I want to make absolutely sure that I am aware of my mute/unmute status in a particular meeting.

1 Like

TJ - I should have been more clear - YES, the macro/AppleScript runs in the background. It is checking Zoom every 30 seconds without ever activating the Zoom application. My Mute status is monitored while I productively stay working in another app.

1 Like

I’m really glad you posted here, I almost bought the wrong app!:slight_smile:

Thanks Rich!

Happy Automations
-J

Great show. Expensive show. Loving my Streamdeck for remote teaching.

One problem is that KM doesn’t seem to cope well with multiple windows in different spaces on multiple displays. So actions like Bring window (with the title) to front and image search inside a specific window sometimes don’t work.

For example, I often use Keynote presenting in a window, or multiple browser windows. But KM appears to have trouble finding windows with specific (like Presenter Display) or partially matching names (contains ‘Meet’) if they are in a different space. I can get exact matches by calling on the Window menu in each app via KM but it would be awesome if KM window commands worked the way I expected.

1 Like

Loved the show.

In the show Rose mentioned minimizing all windows. I know finder is the tricky one and Hide all applications action in keyboard maestro seems to leave finder still open.

Is there a “better” or more canonical way to hide all Apps in MacOS then this AppleScript I found?

activate application "Finder"
tell application "System Events"
	set visible of processes where name is not "Finder" to false
end tell
tell application "Finder" to set collapsed of windows to true
1 Like

Great episode, just like always. For a person who’s not really that much into owning gadgets and doohickeys, I sure love love LOVE hearing about gadgets and doohickeys!

Keep up the great work, guys :slightly_smiling_face:

Making room for Stream Deck
Hi - @RosemaryOrchard, @MacSparky and everyone else using a Stream Deck (especially the big ones): Can you please share desktop photos showing how you fit your Stream Deck within reach?

Between my Kinesis two-piece keyboard, my 10-key number pad, my Magic Trackpad and my laptop on its stand, I’m not convinced I can find a place to put a Stream Deck within easy reach. Also for this reason, I’m wondering how much desktop space the mid-sized vs. large ones take up, and whether one or the other might fit better into my crowded within-reach desk.

Thank you in advance!

Quick question that came up for me from this episode.

I tried KM Link and the native SD/KM integration, but both had challenges for me.

Instead, I just set the URL trigger in KM and set the stream deck to load that URL using the Website action. No more assigning keys, or messing with KM Link.

Does anyone see a downside to this?

Hello Rochelle! Welcome to the forum!

This is where I keep mine:

I started with the Stream Deck right at the top of my keyboard, as I considered it something like a large set of highly customizable Function Keys, but over time I found that I migrated it more to the left, as it was easier to reach.

(Note: I am right-handed, but even my nearly-useless left hand can jab the Stream Deck buttons.)

p.s. - my new standard disclaimer for anyone considering buying a desk: do not get a black desktop. They show every little bit of dust or whatever that get on them, which is the opposite of what I thought would happen with a black desktop. Also, so much other electronic/computer stuff is black, it’s hard to get a good picture.

3 Likes

Obviously Keyboard Maestro’s Stream Deck integration will allow you to do more things if you need them, but if you don’t… then I don’t see any downside to this at all.

I assume KM Link is just using the URLs “under the hood”.

Using the URLs was the only way to use Keyboard Maestro with Stream Deck before Keyboard Maestro added support for it, so it should work just fine.

p.s. - Welcome to the forums! I hope you enjoy it. This and the MPU forums are two of my favorite places on the Internet.

1 Like

It’s a recent purchase so it’s still a work in progress…but my thought was: if I like it I will want ALL of the buttons. If I don’t like it, I will return it.

2 Likes

Also, here is my current desk setup, since I’m asking you all to share!

1 Like

Good evening! I am trying to use @Tjluoma 's most excellent Streamdeck iCalbuddy scripts. I have everything working except that the background won’t change. It always shows Fantastipal, even when it also has appointment information displayed.

Is there some way I need to grant permission for a script to trigger Keyboard Maestro macros? It’s driving me crazy and I’m sure the answer is right …there.

This episode was awesome, and I’ve completely restructured my profiles. It gave me so many ideas, but unfortunately, has me lusting after a bigger Streamdeck now as well.

Thanks all,