109: Automating Obsidian

David mentioned in the episode (and elsewhere) the comfort he gains from using Obsidian Sync, specifically the end-to-end encryption with private key. But I notice that David makes liberal use of community plugins and in so doing will presumably needs to switch off the Obsidian restricted mode to enable use of these plugins. Doesn’t this undermine the security benefits of Obsidian Sync? Or do these features/controls relate to different security challenges: the first ensuring that no one, including Obsidian, can access your syncing data; the second potentially exposing unrelated vulnerabilities including unauthorised access to your device via a community plugin?

I appreciate the ‘social’ safeguards around community plugins, particularly those with wide usage and presumably an active community of users on the look out for issues/threats.

I acknowledge this post is off topic in not relating to Obsidian automation and so am happy for it to be moved elsewhere or for me to be directed elsewhere. Many thanks.

It relates exclusively to data encryption in transit and at rest for the remote sync storage. As an optional component, it does not relate to local storage or use.

Think of the sync service as something external to the app. It is a web service and not the local app. Plugin security, app security, OS security, network security, etc. are all separate sets of security considerations; which of course can be viewed as a broader set of interrelated security interests.

1 Like

Enjoyed the episode.

Any suggestions or examples on how best to use YAML with Obsidian files? Specifically - what is some useful metadata to keep … and how do you keep from going overboard on it?

1 Like

Not helpful perhaps, but the answer here is going to be …depends. I use YAML very differently in my two databases. In my more administrative one, YAML is used in some cases for my “people files”, which includes an alias, a cover image, and various tags. These all allow dataview to sort into a kind of useful card catalog.
In my research intensive vault, I use different kinds of yaml. For instance, I have become pretty enamoured with the ability to bring in map data for my archaeological research, so in this case the YAML captures geographic data that then gets plotted on a map with the (incredible!) Leaflet plugin. My zettelkasten notes are a bit more basic, but again are laying out information that I want to be able to quickly peruse using dataview. So - the answer really depends on how you might use other plugins. (Like I said, perhaps not a helpful comment!)

1 Like

I have not allowed myself to add any more plugins to Obsidian for the last few months as I focus on getting more of the actual work done…but :clap:, listening to this and I’ve added 2 of the basic ones that I somehow missed (the URL insert, and the dynamic table of contents).
Cheers!

Many thanks @sylumer. This is helpful.

Thanks @aroddick . Those are some useful examples. The geographic data use case is particularly cool. I see that YAML is an incredibly powerful tool. I guess key is just start experimenting with it some.

1 Like

This seems an appropriate place to ask my Obsidian automation question. I’ve listened to the episode and it’s all about automating things into Obsidian from other places, or automating within Obsidian. I would like to automate things out of Obsidian sometimes, and even though it’s just plain text files there’s magic going on that I can’t easily get at.

For example, I can use the dataview and tasks plugins to magic up task lists for me within Obsidian with code blocks like this one that pulls out my incomplete tasks from my in progress projects:

dataviewjs
dv.taskList(dv.pages('#project')
	.where(p => p.status == "In Progress")
	.file.tasks
	.where(t => !t.completed), 
	true);

which gives me a nice task list on an Obsidian page. What I’m thinking is that you’d run something on the command line to process this to an output file. Something like process-obsidian tasklist.md > tasklist.txt which would give you the actual task list output as a text file.

Am I missing something obvious? I had a crawl through the Obsidian forums looking and found someone asking something similar being pointed to the innards of one of the plugin implementations for how to process the text files to find the tasks etc yourself. But I’m wondering if I’m missing a trick, or missing an obvious search term to find the answer?

Thanks.

In the Automators Max portion of the show, @MacSparky mentioned he’s planning an on-air light for his Endor Studios project. I know there are out-of-the-box solutions for this, but I put together a DIY version using a Philips Hue bulb. And now when I press my Stream Deck button for “Start Podcasting,” it launches Audio Hijack, sets my Podcasting Focus mode, silences my Mac, and turns on my On Air light to red. Here’s my write up of how I made the light: Making an On Air Light with Philips Hue and Automation - Bettnet.com

1 Like

Would be a great feature if dataview could write the results to a new file.

That would enable you to run another query on the results. Or compare the results of multiple queries :slight_smile: