Will AppleScript and Automator eventually be replaced with Shortcuts on the Mac?

Don’t get me wrong, I’m all for that, I just don’t think it would be ethical for Apple to sell and continue selling machines over the next few years that will not be able to run all the software that Apple themselves develop. I don’t care about losing access to 3rd party apps, but if I were someone who buys an intel mac in 2 years, I would expect Shortcuts to run on it

I’d be delighted if AppleScript and Automator were deprecated in favor of Shortcuts and JXA, on one condition. I want all the power and flexibility that makes AppleScript so useful to be packed in Shortcuts. Not saying that Shortcuts should incorporate AppleScript, just that it should be able to do the kinds of things AppleScript can do with ease. Also, when I speak of deprecation, I would expect AppleScript and Automator to reman available and supported for the people who rely on them.

1 Like

I wonder if Shortcuts can scale to the complexity required. I know JXA can - because it already does.

And if @simonbs can get the Scriptable step working in such a hypothetical Shortcuts on Mac that would be rather cool.

2 Likes

I think hypothetically, Scriptable or Shortcuts could run but its unlikely that apps currently have the same endpoints for a Scriptable or Shortcuts to run.

The fear is that Apple or other companies/app makers remove these endpoints from their apps. The only. company that I am extremely confident will not do this is Omnifocus since they seem to understand the importance of scriptability.

2 Likes

I think this was on John Gruber’s The Talk Show Remote from WWDC.

1 Like