Update OmniFocus Existing Tasks through Shortcuts

Greetings Everyone,

This is my first post and I wanted to say Thanks to everyone for the awesome insights and inspiration here. This might have been covered before but is there a suggested setup for updating an existing OF Task with appended notes from shortcuts or Drafts? I manage several hundred individuals and and it would be great to be able to just add information to an existing source. Thanks in advance for any help!

Dan Marshall

1 Like

Hi.

You’d have to look at the Omnifocus URL scheme to be sure, but I’m pretty positive you can’t do this right now. You can add a task to a specific project, but I don’t think you can get down to the task level and add something to an existing task. I think you’ll have to wait for the upcoming Omnifocus scripting language for that.

What you could do if you want running notes attached to tasks is put a link in each note to a text file or a draft that you can update. If you standardise where those files are and what they’re called you could update that file and just tap the link in the task when you wanted to see it.

1 Like

Got it! I will see if I can make that work!! Thank you for your insights!

Dan

I’m certain you can’t manipulate an existing task programmatically. (At least not on iOS.)

There has to be a task identifier (probably a UUID/GUID) and the URL scheme doesn’t point to one. Or at least it didn’t last time I checked.

The “not on iOS” piece alludes to maybe it’s different on MacOS.

1 Like